Chapter 5

When Lexa's eyes opened, they were met with their bedside clock on their bedside table. 11.30 am it said. Lexa almost panicked, thinking she was super-late from work, when she remembered she'd asked for a few days off, personal leave so that she could give all her time to Clarke, to really figure out what's been bothering her. Clarke. Her Clarke.

Lexa turned around, needing to kiss her lover good morning, but was met with an empty side of the bed. Lexa closed her eyes. Wasn't she promised a heavy make-out session this morning? But then she took a deep inhale only to smell an aroma of breakfast. Clarke made breakfast. After 2 weeks. Clarke made breakfast again. She must have done something right last night.

Lexa got out of bed, put on her robe and stepped into the bathroom for a shower. Once she was done, she put on her favourite jeans and one of Clarke's painting t-shirts and headed downstairs, knowing that even though they would sit together and enjoy breakfast, they still needed to talk.

Lexa caught a few moments to herself, where Clarke hadn't realized Lexa was down. She stared at the blonde, who was deep in thought, staring down at the pancakes she had just plated.

"Get you a wife who looks at you the way Clarke looks at her freshly made pancakes." Lexa teased as she sat across from Clarke on a bar stool, leaning in for a good morning kiss. Clarke obliged with a laugh at her quip.

"Pancakes... you must really have enjoyed last night."

"uhh.. They're actually a Thank you..."

Lexa hurried to say "I know what pancakes the morning after mean, Clarke."

But Clarke continued "and an apology... but they're not enough..."

"I mean, I'm not going to hold a grudge because you weren't in bed to make out with me this morning, and I think there's enough pancakes here to feed a family of 4."

Clarke snapped "That's not what I mean!"

Lexa just stared at Clarke in surprise.

"I'm sorry, eat. We'll talk afterwards." She said.

Clarke moved to walk away. "Nah-ah. You're having breakfast with me."

"I have to..." she began to make some excuse.

"Don't Clarke, please" Lexa pleaded.

And the look in her eyes, the sincerity. Clarke needed to stop. Stop running away from what needed to happen now. So she came around the kitchen island, sat beside her lover, kissed her cheek and said

"I'm here, let's eat."

The smile on Lexa's lips was worth it.

Clarke watched Lexa eat, and ramble about her earlier day at work. She wanted to take in this moment and truly cherish it. It felt like they were back to day one in this, their home. Back to when all she had to worry about was what aspect of Lexa's personality would she sneak into her next work of art, or what she could make for dinner that Lexa would truly enjoy, or how she could make Lexa's night more special.

But here she was, dreading the moment this bubble would burst and Lexa would remember once again that they had something to talk about. The bubble did burst. And Lexa did remember. But it didn't pan out the way Clarke had planned.

The house phone began to ring. And it interrupted Lexa's rant about a particular client. She started to get off her seat to take it, but Clarke stopped her.

"Don't move, finish your breakfast, I'll get it." She said.

Lexa nodded and mumbled a "thanks sweetheart" and continued with another bite of her stack of pancakes. She watched Clarke pick up the phone and realize it was her mom calling. Clarke mouthed "Mom" while pointing at the receiver end of the phone.