three

3|touché

"Where are you taking me?" Dorothy whispered as Mason led her around the storage area.

"I don't trust them." Mason revealed before pulling out her camera and snapping photos of the explosives.

"Neither do I." She walked ahead of the photographer, glancing around at the scientific equipment. A small 'ouch' escaped her lips as she went straight into a soft wall.

"We need to stop meeting like this." A familiar English accent greeted her as she stepped back. "What are you doing down here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Dorothy smirked back, standing back and watching him as he used his lighter to read the labels. "Why does a geological mapping mission need explosives?"

"You weren't listening in class." Conrad followed her as she led him away from Mason. "Seismic charges for the geological survey."

"And you believe that?" She glanced up at him, regretting it when his eyes met hers.

"I didn't say that."

"I'm a military doctor, meaning I get sent to places where there is combat. What do you think they are expecting? Especially with the choice of weapons they have brought." Dorothy questioned aloud, quickly looking away from his curious stare. "Have you met Colonel Packard yet?"

"Yeah." Conrad nodded, chuckling to himself at her nervousness.

"The guy's wound pretty tight."

"Well, the man's a decorated war hero. That's the package they come in." He shrugged as they came to a stop near the exit, turning to face each other. "And like you said, why is a combat doctor needed for a geological survey."

"I guess they are expecting a fight. I am more worried about with what." Dorothy pursed her lips as she thought about her purpose. "Maybe there will be a giant monkey that crushes people with its big monkey fists."

"I sure hope not." Conrad chuckled at her playful joke. The pair continued their walk, both heading towards the accommodation part of the ship. "You better rest, we have monkeys to fight tomorrow. We will need our doctor fully rested."

"This whole giant monkey theory is really going to bite us in the ass if we're right." She laughed, leaning back against her room door. "You seem pretty tall, I think we might be safe if your fighting skills are good."

"You like to doubt people, don't you."

"It's better than trusting and believing in people." She shrugged, her eyes glancing at Mason who was slowly walking towards them. "Trust gets you killed. Now, Captain Conrad. What about you? How did British special forces get dragged into this?"

"Just Conrad, I'm decommissioned." Conrad corrected her as she raised a brow. "They offered me money."

"You don't strike me as a mercenary."

"You don't strike me as a doctor."

"Touché." Her smirk grew as they had a staring match, both trying to read the other.

~•~

Dorothy pushed her sunglasses down her nose as she spotted Mason wandering over to where she was sunbathing. Many of the soldiers had tried to speak to her but a simple glare was enough to ward them off.

"You look just like a beach model." Mason joked as she lifted her camera and took a photo of the naturally beautiful woman.

"I'm trying to improve my tan. Is it working?" She laughed, sitting up and smiling at the camera.

"I think your shoulders are burning."

"Dammit." Dorothy grabbed her oversized shirt and threw it over her shoulders before resting back on the crates. She had given up on telling the men off for staring at her body. It was probably the first time in years they had seen a woman wearing shorts.

"Enjoy." Mason grinned at her before walking around and taking more photos of the soldiers.

Dorothy stood up and wandered to her room, rolling her eyes at the wolf whistles. She buttoned up the shirt over her simple tank top and slipped on some boots that seemed good enough for whatever terrain was waiting for them.

She was packing her medical bags when a soldier came to collect her. The mission had just begun. She lowered her sunglasses back over her eyes and headed towards the many helicopters, spotting Mason in a far one.

"I've never liked helicopters." Dorothy greeted her friend as she jumped into the small metal box and dropped down in the middle seat, only then noticing James Conrad was on her other side. "And I have a bad feeling."

"Are you ever optimistic?" Mason chuckled at her as she locked in her two bags.

"I'm still alive." She shrugged, sitting back and listening to the two pilots go over their checks. And then they were all off.