Chapter Sixteen: The Prisoner

Start from the beginning

 "I know, Cyar'ika. He doesn't have my complete trust either, even after all these years." His gloved hand lifted to tuck a stray strand of hair behind your ear, fingers softly brushing against your skin as he lowered his arm to his side. "But we need the credits. We gave what we had left for the ship's repairs back on Tatooine and can't risk going any longer without them."

You reluctantly nodded, the hold on his arm loosening. "Let's just hope it doesn't go as badly as last time."

"We'll have to make sure to stay alert, then." The Mandalorian was on the brink leaving, only for a small, three-fingered hand to clutch onto his flowing cape. Both your attentions directed towards the Child, who seemingly didn't want Din leaving either. A pleading look in those big eyes, as if he were saying, 'don't go!'

Din allowed a chuckle to escape his lips, before raising a hand to stroke one of the infant's long ears. "I'll be back soon, Ad'ika."

A curiosity dominated your expression upon hearing the new nickname. "What does that mean?"

 He visibly froze for a second, seeming as if he wanted to take it back for whatever unknown reason. "Nothing. It just... slipped out—"

"Mando! I know you're in there, quit hiding from me and get out here!"

You cringed upon hearing the unfamiliar, booming voice that interrupted from outside the Razor Crest. "That him?" you whispered, noting the Mandalorian's shoulders as they tense up.

"Yeah. Just... stay here, I'll work through the details with him and come back for you." With that, he lowered the ramp utilizing his vambrace and exit the ship, before swiftly closing it behind him in hopes of concealing the Child from the dangers lurking around.

Your eyes flickered back to the infant in your arms, an expectant look on your face. "You gonna cooperate with me now, kid?"

Well, he didn't cooperate.

As the minutes progressed while attempting to persuade the relentless child into napping, an anxiety overtook your emotions knowing Din would return shortly. Meaning, you'd have to depart from the ship with the Child completely awake. When  the moment came for you and the Mandalorian to set off for the newly-acquired task, then that's it — the kid was required to remain in the safety of the Crest. With absolutely no delay either, because if anyone in the station suspects even the slightest bit that something important is being hidden within the ship, they would undoubtedly succumb to their curiosity and become a bit... intrusive.

The hissing of the ramp lowering once more instantly caught your attention, and it wasn't long before the Mandalorian stepped inside the ship. His shoulders subtly slumped as his sight took in the Child staring back at him intently. "Nothing?" When you shook your head, he released a sigh before taking a few steps towards you. "They're coming here, for the job."

"What?" You furrowed your eyebrows, shifting your weight nervously. The entire time you believed the job would take place someplace else, in some other ship to get to your assignment. There must be plenty of transportation options here, so why the Crest? An exasperated sigh broke out from your lips. "But I thought—"

"I know, but he kept insisting— look, there's no time now..."

"Right, just—" you dashed towards the Child's bunk, placing him inside and presenting an authoritative expression. Lifting a finger to your lips, you continued, "Stay, and, shhh! Alright?"

Without awaiting any sort of response from him, you slid your hand towards the small control panel on the side of the compartment, pushing the button to shut it, only it... didn't close? Pressed it again... nothing. A string of curses escaped your lips after multiple failed attempts, "What's wrong with this thing?"