✮ 𝟎𝟑𝟗 ✮

Start from the beginning

Peter turned to Gamora and Marlene right away. "I'm not buying it," he murmured. "What'd you see?" he asked Marlene.

"He was blocking me out... but he did show a memory of you when you were born," Marlene admitted. "I mean... I don't trust him, but if he's your dad... it's up to you."

Gamora grabbed Peter's hand. "Let's go take a walk," she insisted.

Marlene walked to sit next to Rocket, allowing Groot to climb down her arm to his best friend. Rocket glanced up at her once before sniffing. "I am sorry about calling you a raccoon before," she said suddenly. "On Terra, it's what you look like. I realize now you are your own being. Rocket, right?"

"Yeah," Rocket said skeptically. "It's fine, I guess." He paused as Groot was staring between the pair of them. "Quill named you Marlene? Why'd he pick that?"

"He said it was the name of a friend he had on Terra," she said with a small laugh. "I do like it."

"Yeah, it's all right. I would've chosen something cooler, but," he ended with a shrug.

"How long have you all known each other?" Marlene asked next after a small awkward silence.

"A little over a year," Rocket replied. "We saved the galaxy from Ronan... one of Thanos's minions. The whole Power Stone situation. Say... you're really made from the Mind Stone?"

"Yeah," she whispered. "But I think something is missing. After my brother died a week ago, I've noticed something just... gone."

"Maybe it's a connection you had with him. Groot sacrificed himself when we used the Power Stone. I felt like a whole part of me was gone," he revealed quietly as if he did not want the others to know. "I was lucky that I was able to save him."

"For being called the Galactic Savior, I couldn't save him," she said before laughing quietly. "Anyway, sorry. I didn't mean to dump that on you."

"I am Groot."

Marlene furrowed her brows. "I-I don't understand. Is that all he says?"

Rocket nodded. "He said he hopes you find that missing piece."

"Did he?" she said before smiling. "Thanks, Groot."

Drax sat down a few feet away as the woman that came with Ego approached. The woman smiled oddly. "I am Mantis," she said.

Drax eyed her with confusion. "What are you doing?"

"Smiling," Mantis said. "I hear it is the thing to do to make people like you."

"Not if you do it like that."

Marlene rubbed her forehead tiredly as she realized how blunt Drax was. Mantis frowned. "Oh... I was raised alone on Ego's planet. I do not understand the intricacies of social interaction," she said before turning to Rocket. "Can I pet your puppy? It is adorable."

"Yes," Drax said mischievously as Mantis reached over. Rocket suddenly turned in a threatening manner, yelling as Mantis jumped back in shock. Drax laughed loudly. "That is called a practical joke!"

Mantis laughed awkwardly, backing away from Rocket. "I liked it very much!"

Drax nodded. "I just made it up!"

Marlene stood when Ego, Peter, and Gamora walked back toward the ship. Peter rubbed the back of his neck as Gamora nudged him.

"We're going to go with Ego," Peter said as he stared at Marlene. "I-I need to figure this out."

"I agree," she said, "but you need to be careful."

Ego narrowed his eyes at her.

Gamora tilted her head. "You're not coming?"

"Well, I assume someone is staying to fix the ship," Marlene said just as Rocket cleared his throat and rose his hand. "And someone needs to watch over Nebula."

Peter lowered his eyes. "I don't want to leave you yet. You came to me for help, and—"

"And nothing," Marlene said as she walked forward with her hands grabbing his. "This is your father, Pete. I need answers about Thanos, but for now, this is more important. Besides, Rocket is good company," she ended with a smile.

Peter squeezed her hands once before turning to Gamora. "Yeah, let's go."

Nebula glared as Drax, Gamora, and Peter prepared to follow Ego and Mantis to his ship. "You're leaving me with that fox?"

Gamora rolled her eyes. "He's not a fox," she said before looking at Marlene and Rocket. "Shoot her if she does anything suspicious. Or if you feel like it."

"Okay," Rocket agreed quickly.

Gamora crouched in front of Groot with a smile on her face. "It'll be just a couple of days. We'll be back before Rocket's finished fixing the ship," she said as Groot gave her a sad smile and wave.

"What if the Sovereign come?" Drax asked.

"There's no way for them to know we're here," Peter said before pointing at Marlene. "She'll protect them if so. Let's go."

"I'm uncertain about parting ways," Drax admitted.

"God, you're like an old woman," Peter groaned.

"Because I'm wise?" Drax said as he picked up the bags at his feet. Gamora eyed them with a scowl.

"Why do you have so much luggage?"

Drax pointed at Groot. "I don't want Groot playing with my things."

Marlene crouched by Groot as Peter walked past Rocket. "I hope Daddy isn't as big of a dick as you, orphan boy," Rocket muttered.

"What is your goal here? To get everybody to hate you? Because it's working," Peter growled out before turning to Marlene. "Take care of Groot and Nebula."

"Be nice," Marlene warned before nodding. "I'll watch over them. Now, go."

Peter nodded once more before turning to follow his father. When they boarded the ship, Rocket turned to face her with a small smile.

"Thanks for sticking with me, Gal," he said, shortening Galactic. "But now you have to help fix the ship."

"Tell me what to do," Marlene said with her own grin.