✮ 𝟎𝟑𝟗 ✮

ego's ego rivals peter's

WHEN the man's ship landed more gracefully than theirs did, Marlene grabbed Groot to sit him on her shoulder. She did not want him to be hurt if something were to go wrong. The ship opened in the front, revealing two people. There was a man with shoulder-length hair that reminded her of someone and a woman with antennas coming out of her head.

The man walked up to the group with a smile, his eyes on Peter. "After all these years, I've found you."

Peter held his gun firmly, not trusting the guy. "And who the hell are you?"

"I figured my rugged good looks would make that obvious," the man said with a chuckle as his eyes assessed each person. They focused on Marlene for a moment before they shifted back to Peter. "My name is Ego... and I'm your dad, Peter."

Peter shook his head. "What? No," he shook his head. "No way, man."

Marlene went into his head, but she found it was blocked with only certain thoughts pushed forward. This sent a red flag immediately. However, she was able to confirm one thing.

"He is," Marlene spoke up as her eyes fell back to the stormy grey as everyone turned to face her. "I went into his head," she revealed, still wondering what the man was hiding and how he knew to hide his thoughts the way he was.

Ego smiled brightly at her. "Yes, thank you," he said sweetly before turning back to Peter. "I hired Yondu to pick you up when your mother passed away. But instead of returning you, Yondu kept you. I have no clue as to why."

Peter lowered his gun but trust was still not there. "Well, I'll tell you why. Because I was a skinny little kid who could squeeze into places adults couldn't. It made it easier for thievin'."

"Well, I've been trying to track you down ever since," Ego admitted.

Drax furrowed his eyebrows. "I thought Yondu was your father," he said.

Peter turned to face him with wide eyes. "What? We've been together this whole time, and you thought Yondu was my actual blood relative?"

"You look exactly alike," Drax added with a shrug.

Rocket rubbed his forehead in annoyance. "One's blue!"

"Even I knew that," Marlene said while biting back a smile.

"You have psychedelic powers," Drax pointed out. "You have advantages."

"Is it though?" Rocket asked her. "I mean, think about it. People's thoughts in your head all the time! You look to your left and oh!—That guy has to take a massive shit. That woman to your right? Killed four people at once."

"It is easy to tune people out," Marlene said, letting out her smile now as she saw Rocket grin back.

Peter rose his hands as he brought the conversation back to him. "Okay, no. No, he's not my father! Yondu was the guy who abducted me, kicked the crap out of me so I could learn to fight, and kept me in terror by threatening to eat me."

"Eat you?" Ego asked with fake concern.

"Yeah," Peter affirmed.

"Oh, that son of a bitch."

Gamora could see the look of mistrust Marlene was giving Ego. "How'd you locate us now?" she asked.

Ego smiled at Gamora. "Well, even where I reside, out past the edge of what's known... we've heard tell about the man they call Star Lord. What say we head out there right now? Your associates are welcome. Even that triangle-faced monkey there. I promise you... it's unlike any other place you've ever seen. And there... I can explain your very special heritage. Finally get to be... the father I've always wanted to be," he said before nodding at them. "Excuse me. I've gotta take a whiz."