✮ 𝟎𝟐𝟖 ✮

ultron's creepy ass and tony's worry for endgame

STEVE immediately pushed Marlene behind him as he called, "Stark." Marlene watched the robot with interest as she knew she could not get into his head in any way. Letting her fingertips light up, she watched him carefully.

"Jarvis?" Tony asked, but just like in her room, Jarvis did not respond.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or... I was a—dream?" the robot said.

Tony tapped on his watch before saying "Reboot, Legionnaire OS, we got a buggy suit."

"There was a terrible noise... and I was tangled in... in... strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy," the robot continued, and at his words, Marlene walked back to Steve's side.

"You killed someone?" Steve asked worriedly.

The robot seemed to nod. "Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world we're faced with ugly choices."

Thor gripped his hammer tightly. "Who sent you?"

The robot glitched a bit before Tony's voice spoke from it. "I see a suit of armor around the world."

Bruce's eyes widened. "Ultron!"

"In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this... chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission," Ultron stated.

"What mission?" Natasha asked.

"Peace in our time."

Out of nowhere, the Iron Legion suits broke through the walls around them. Marlene yelped when glass flew across the room, and using her powers, she was able to have the glass disintegrate before it hit Steve and Clint.

Hovering, her eyes and hands lit blue as she sent a ball of energy at the nearest suit. She could see Natasha and Bruce hiding behind the bar. Tony was trying to turn off a suit in front of him as Steve ran forward and pushed Marlene out of the way of another robot who almost landed on her. Turning as she stood up, she sent a blast its way.

"Stark!" Steve shouted again.

Iron Legion were calling, "We are here to help" over and over as Tony yelled back, "One sec, one sec!" He pressed a button on the robot, calling out, "No more. That's the one."

Marlene covered Steve as Clint threw the man his shield from the staircase. She and Steve fought off the remaining robots back-to-back. As she sent the robot flying back, Steve sent his shield at it to have it fall apart. They all were breathing heavily as Ultron stared at them unamused.

"That was dramatic!" Ultron said with a scoff. "I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to... evolve?" He picked up one of the dismembered Iron Legion heads. "With these? These puppets? There's only one path to peace: The Avengers' extinction."

Marlene lowered to the ground as Thor threw his hammer at Ultron, which smashed him to pieces. Eerily, the robot still was able to sing, "I had strings, but now I'm free. There are no strings on me, no strings on me."

Thor used his hammer to fly out of the tower as Tony helped Bruce stand. Both scientists rushed to the lab with Natasha and Clint following. Steve waited until Marlene's body became normal and her eyes returned to the storm he loved. She nodded at him, letting him grab her hand as he led her toward the lab.

She tightened her fingers around his as they entered. Tony and Bruce were typing on the computers frantically.

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch," Bruce said knowingly.