Five

I awoke to the bat digging it's fangs into my thumb. Ow. Guess it's hungry. It looks old enough to eat bugs. Sitting up I looked around, focusing for any movement. Aha!

Snatching a few bugs from the area I quickly killed them and fed them to the bat. It seemed happy and clung back to my shirt as it ate. Standing up I headed outside, it was dark. Good, easier to hide. A bug buzzed around my ear so I flicked it back, shaking my head in annoyance. How long has it been since I ate....???? Yeahhhh, I need to get some food.

Stretching out I gently set the bat on the back of my neck, shifting in place. The bullet wounds stung and protested but I simply ignored it. Sniffing the air I followed the scent, the small bat I decided to call Sam clinging to my fur. I kept to the shadows, weaving through the trees as I kept the track. There was a herd here, about five minutes out. So not far.

Kicking up to a trot I followed the tracks, keeping myself downwind as I listened for the herd ahead.

Slowly I heard them, quickly dropping to a crouch I slinked forward. There they are. Scanning the herd I searched for the oldest, my eyes locking onto one of the females. She didn't have a calf, her front leg was lifted slightly, an old injury.

Slowly I moved as close to her as I could while remaining hidden. Tho, being roughly 8 feet tall, that's a bit difficult. Pressing my legs against the ground I slowed my breathing, getting ready to pounce.

Three.

Two.

One. Pushing forward I broke through the trees, the herd running the second I moved. But the doe was slower so I could keep up.

That's when she made a fatal mistake, she fell. Quickly I pounced, wrapping my jaws around her neck I snapped it. Quick, and painless. May her soul rest in peace and return to gaia.

Shaking out my pelt I lifted her body, heading back into the treeline and away from the kill site. It was loud and likely attracted unwanted attention.

After putting some decent distance I laid her body down, resting in the underbrush as I started to feed. Sam chirped before nuzzling in my fur and sleeping again. Good, I don't have to worry about em.

Soon I got to the bones, the cracking between my teeth feeling so familiar as the marrow spilled out and onto my tongue.

That's when something caught my attention. Pausing I listened, the forest was quiet. That isn't right. I waited, still and silent. Footsteps. Human ones. They were quiet and hard to pick up but they were there. I froze entirely, shifting as I heard the footsteps pick up, jumping into the trees and pinning myself in the thicker bush.

Slowly the area around me began to grow brighter and movements became clearer.

Someone in a black suit soon appear where I once was. Seeming to look for me.

"Signs she was here but I can't find any tracks or signs of where she went." American. Male. Young. Likely on the team with my siblings. Sounds my age.

He pulled off his mask, telling me that he has senses better without that mask. Immediately I froze and held my breath, waiting. Sam sneezed and his eyes snapped towards me. I stared directly into his eyes, waiting for an attack.

He took a step forward. I bared my teeth and snarled. He stepped back immediately, putting his hands up. I stopped but kept my eyes on him.

"I'm not here to harm you. I promise. Um, can I, can I grab something? You can watch me, I promise it's not something dangerous." Definitely young. Doesn't know when to shut up. Grunting I dropped to the ground, staring at him as he jumped back. Slowly he reached for a bag on his hip.

I tensed but let him continue, watching as he pulled out a white box with a red mark on it.

"Its- it's a medkit. Do you know what that is?" He slowly crouched down, allowing me to relax. I crept forward, seeing him tense up as I grew closer. I rested on my knees in front of him and looked up at his face.

"I'll take that as a no. It has stuff to help with injuries. I brought it cause you got shot. Can I see? I wanna help." A smile soon crept onto his face.

"Here, I'll explain what all of this is and let you even look over them. Is that okay?"

I looked at him then the box and nodded. I grabbed it from him and opened it, familiar medical equipment lined it. I remember this stuff.

My eyes went wide as I realized it had some of the stuff I needed. I stepped back and took Sam off my neck, carefully grabbing items I needed before carefully picking off his current brace.

With careful hands I managed to put a proper splint for his wing, he squeaked a little but was okay otherwise. Quickly falling back asleep. I put him back on my neck and closed the box, handing it to the young man.

"Can I work o-"

"No." I huffed. His eyes went wide.

"You can talk?!"

I shrugged, doing a so so motion with my hand. He seemed to brighten up at that.

"I'm Peter, do you remember your name?"

I really don't. I can't remember it at all. I frowned and shook my head, mimicking how he sat in the dirt. He nodded and soon started to question me, simple yes or no questions. He wasn't pushing anything and reminded me of a faun. Kinda cute to be honest. Tho, I can't trust him. He obviously works with others and they'll probably try to kill me.

I should try to enjoy the company for now. Likely won't get any kind ones for a while once he leaves.