XVII. Excuses

"So you plan to propose?" Henry exclaimed with surprise, Charles smirked at his best friend's surprise. The two had rode out early to tour the cottages and home farm, and to escape the crowd of guests that were still breakfasting.

"She needs protection, my mother insists I take a wife, Richard is dead – I see no clearer path," Charles protested.

"And your interest in Miss Stanhope is purely one of duty?" scoffed Henry, Charles did not respond as they continued their walk into the valley.

"You cannot lie to me, Charles, we are too old of friends," Henry chided jokingly.

"I admit- I admire her," Charles admitted begrudgingly.

"She has bewitched you, I believe," Henry concluded matter of factly, "You've all the symptoms."

"Don't be ridiculous," Charles growled, but their conversation was cut short as they approached the first home. Charles spent a quarter hour speaking with the family and taking note of the repairs needed in the cottage before moving onto the next.

"As I said," Henry continued as if he had not been interrupted at all, "You're distracted, you don't even notice other women, and you are bent to provide for her every whim."

"Sarah does not have whims," Charles interjected, Henry cleared his throat pointedly.

"She's somehow convinced you to take up the care of your estate, and has drawn you out of many a dark mood through these last few days," Henry observed, Charles did not answer him, "Not to mention your intense streak of violence towards any man who comes within distance of her," Henry concluded just before they entered the next cottage.

"Robin and Warwick did not have honorable intentions to begin with," Charles objected, as soon as they had emerged, "It is my responsibility to protect her while she's under my roof."

"By holing her away in your study each day?" Henry challenged just as the next cottage door opened. Charles bit back a growl.

"Nothing untoward has occurred between myself and Miss Stanhope," Charles defended himself sharply as they left the last house. Henry's conversation was turning his mood sour.

"Oh and you think that the ton will accept such an excuse?" Henry challenged, Charles fell silent, "You are ruining her, Charles, and I am beginning to suspect it's on purpose." Still, Charles did not respond.

"The way you spoke of her, the day Warwick was here," Henry spoke in an easier tone now as the two men made their way back to the Great House, "I believe the existence of Lady Sarah Amesbury has become your dearest wish. I only caution you in regard to the reputation of your wife, as you so proudly named her."

"You talk nonsense, Henry, as always," Charles rebuddled indifferently.

"You've always been a terrible liar," Henry laughed in response.