Me: Got to go!

Before he can reply, I shut my laptop and bury my face in my hands.

Tim's relentless and currently I'm his favourite new topic.

"You okay?" Liam asks. I crack my fingers open and see him staring at me with a mix of concern and confusion.

"Yeah," I groan, feeling my cheeks heat. "Just needed a break."

"You have been burning through that stack pretty fast. Let's go grab some lunch and stretch our legs." His offer sounds perfect and I'm on my feet instantly.

I close my eyes, rubbing and rolling the tension out of my neck as Liam finishes up what he was working on. He grabs his jacket and rounds the desk, pausing very close to me as his green eyes lock on mine.

"What are you feeling like today?" he asks, slipping his suit jacket on and adjusting it, stealing all of my attention.

"Um?" I mumble, unable to form coherent words as his cologne surrounds us.

"Cafeteria, or would you prefer to head out?" he asks with a crooked grin.

"Definitely out," I say, rubbing my neck. "I feel stiff."

"There are lots of food carts in the park?" he offers, dropping a hand on my lower back to guide us towards the door. The contact is so natural and my feet respond immediately before my mind has a chance to catch up.

Liam picks our path through the scenic park, bustling with busy professionals on their lunch breaks. He leads us past a pretzel cart, sails past the hotdog one, and beelines for a blue and white food truck that smells heavenly. When his hand drops from my lower back, I instantly miss the contact as he orders our food.

A moment later, he's back with a couple of chicken wraps, drinks, and fries. He leads us around the corner to a quiet bench by the nearby lake. I breathe deep, take in the relaxing atmosphere, and let the tension roll out of my shoulders.

"That bad?" Liam asks, cocking a brow, but his green eyes glint in the dappled sunlight.

"No," I blush, realizing that he's been watching me the whole time. "I think I'm just out of practice... Offices, they feel stiff."

"I assure you, Miss Carter, you're doing exemplary work," he says with a wink.

"Why thank you, Sir," I tease back, playing on his formality. "I do so aim to please." I flash him a cheesy smile and heat instantly under his darkening gaze. The lightness in our joking around seems to have been sucked out of the air and has been replaced by a heavy... something... Whatever the shift is, it sends my heartbeat on overdrive and excites me.

Before I can make a fool of myself further, I turn back to my wrap and take a bite, focusing my attention on a couple of ducks swimming nearby. The food is delicious, but all I can feel is Liam's heated gaze as he watches me. After a moment, he catches himself and shakes his head like he snaps out of it.

"So, um, this trip?" I ask, breaking up the silence. "How long, or... um, what should I pack?"

I catch the corners of his mouth tug up slightly as he fights a grin while he finishes his bite. The look in his eyes makes me curious as to what he's thinking about.

"I don't really have an answer, I'm afraid," Liam replies and takes a sip of his iced tea.

"Nothing to go on?" I ask, feeling a slight pout pull at my lips. Part of me feels like he's toying with me. I don't miss how his green eyes zero in on my pouty lips in a way that instantly makes me pull them back in and run my tongue over them.