The car smoothly accelerated on the highway.

70...

80...

90...

"What are you doing?" Horan held onto a handle with white knuckles.

"If we drive at eighty, we make it there in fifty four minutes." I explained, keeping a close eye on the speedometer. "If I drive at one fifty we'll make it in twenty nine minutes. Cutting our time in half, giving our perp less time to run away."

120...

130...

140...

"You're a maniac!"

"I'm a good cop!"

150.

My hands were firmly planted on the wheel. All I could hear was the pounding of my heart in my head. I knew that I was trained to drive this fast, but I hadn't done it in real life, just in classes. I noticed my shoulders tensing up, so I took a deep breath and rolled them back. The speed of the car pushed my back against the seat. I took my eyes off the road for a single second just to look over at Horan. He was staring at me with wide eyes, his mouth open in disbelief.

"I'm terrified of you!"

"Yeah that checks out." I turned back to the road.

Cars were swerving out of my way. The traffic wasn't heavy since it was four in the morning. I was living out every fantasy I'd had in college. Speeding down the interstate in a time sensitive race to find a perp. This was my dream. I kept my foot heavy on the gas, eyes centered on the road ahead of me. The engine roared as the wheels spun against the pavement.

It felt like it had only been five minutes of driving, when suddenly Horan looked at his phone and snapped his head over.

"Cut the sirens. Now."

"Are we there?" I snapped out of my euphoric trance.

"They're a few blocks down. I think there's a garage down the road." He explained.

"Got it." I turned off the headlights and crept slowly down the street. "Are they still moving?"

"No. I think this is their final spot, there hasn't been any movement for a while."

"If they're stopped at a garage that probably means that they're using the car for parts, and it probably isn't the only vehicle there. It's a chop shop." I said quietly as I approached the garage.

"I think you're right."

"Say that again?" I pretended not to hear him.

"I said... I think you're right Carter." He grumbled.

"That's a glorious sound." I marveled. "You should say that more often."

"I think that would require you to be right more often."

"I don't believe that's the case at all." I put the car into park and made sure I had my gun. "Here's the plan: you go in first, distract them, and I'll come in behind and trap them in."

"Why am I distracting them? Shouldn't you do it since you're a-"

"Since I'm a what?" I gave him the worst look.

"A... girl?"

"No. This is my case, we're going with my plan."

"All I'm saying is that these guys are probably creeps, and if we're trying to distract them, then I think you'd be the better option." He tried to reason.