chapter 13

The next day is the school festival: you and Seojun both go to support Gowoon for her solo performance, but also because of Seojun's participation in the basketball match towards the end of the day.

Jugyeong had briefed you earlier that day about the situation with Gowoon - she would be helping her get ready for the performance by doing her makeup for her, and since you'd helped Jugyeong do her makeup (after the cake incident) a while back she wants you to be there with her. You agree to help, but since that isn't until later you still have some free time to spend outside.

You and Seojun are both stood by the game that Chorong and the other boys are in charge of, them wanting the both of you to stay with them to attract customers throughout the day. You're just standing beside Seojun and talking casually with him. He's curious about your near panic attack earlier, but he doesn't want to make you uncomfortable so he decides to wait for you to bring it up instead.

When the game gets a little quieter, Chorong asks if you want to try. You laugh before agreeing, picking up a water balloon and throwing it towards the board the boys are standing behind. You manage to hit Chorong right in the face, and you giggle while jumping up and down cutely in excitement.

The boys all smile at your adorable actions, Seojun letting out a little one of his own. He just looks to the side to hide it, but it doesn't go unnoticed by Chorong.

When you see Jugyeong arriving you run up to her, chuckling when you see how excited she looks. The two of you just walk around and look at all of the games outside, and you notice that she seems a little distracted but choose to stay quiet. She keeps looking down at her phone with a conflicted expression, and while you're worried about her you don't want to pry.

You look around when she checks her phone again, gasping when you catch sight of someone.
"Oh no, Jugyeong look," you tap her arm to gain her attention, motioning towards the area where a crowd is beginning to form around Gowoon. You both run up to her, Jugyeong grabbing onto her wrist and pulling her inside.

You find an empty science classroom to use so the three of you go inside, you and Jugyeong immediately getting to work. You help with the makeup here and there, but mainly just do Gowoon's hair since Jugyeong seems to be doing an amazing job on her own.

When you're finished with her hair, you just sit beside the two girls while you wait for Jugyeong to complete Gowoon's makeup.
"You can go and find your seat, it's okay," she says, but you hesitate for a bit. "Seriously, it's fine. I'm probably going to sit near the front anyways."

You nod, albeit reluctantly, before bringing Gowoon into a quick side hug.
"Good luck, you're going to do amazing." You pat Gowoon's head and throw her a little wink of encouragement.

"Thanks unnie," she responds, smiling up at you cutely before telling you to go and find Seojun since you would be watching the performance together. You head to the auditorium and text Seojun to ask where he is, and he replies within a few seconds to tell you that he's sitting near the back.

You walk in and join him, making it just in time for the performance to start. You gasp when the lights all shine down onto the group as they start singing, your hands clasped together and held to your chest as you watch the performance with a huge smile on your face.

You're so glad that she didn't give into the threats that she received from the girls who bullied her. You're incredibly proud of her for being so strong, and for not cowering away like you did. Like you did. You suddenly feel your mind drifting and the memories of your old school rushing back to you all at once.

You lean back into your seat and inhale sharply, moving your hands to grip the sides of your seat as you feel yourself starting to tremble. You can't help but think about what would've happened if your old bullies hadn't found out that you could sing, or if you hadn't agreed to do the solo performance at your old school, or if you hadn't done well in school in general.

The fact that your situation is so similar to Gowoon's makes you panic, and it becomes harder for you to concentrate on her singing because you're so overwhelmed by your own thoughts. This catches Seojun's attention.

He looks to the side and notices that you're breathing really heavily, your hands gripping the armrest so tightly that your knuckles are beginning to turn white. He places his hand over yours gently, looking at you in worry.

"Are you okay?" he whispers, concern evident in his tone, "This happened to you the other day too, what's going on?" he squeezes your hand when you don't respond at first. You close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, your body relaxing at his touch, and when you feel your heartbeat starting to return to normal you let out a sigh of relief before turning to face him.

"I'm okay," you say, forcing a smile, "sorry." Your voice is breathy. You can tell he's unconvinced, so you turn your hand that's in his grip to hold his properly, squeezing it in reassurance. "I'll tell you later, okay?"

You turn back to watch Gowoon as she completes her solo, enjoying the rest of the performance because holding Seojun's hand provides you with enough comfort to keep your mind from wandering again.

Seojun doesn't let go for the rest of the performance, and he glances at you every few seconds out of worry. When Gowoon is finished singing you jump from your seat, clapping and cheering for her in excitement, and Seojun finally lets himself smile again out of pride for his little sister.

After the performance is over the two of you go to congratulate Gowoon, Seojun holding a bouquet of flowers to give to her. She smiles and waves when she sees you, motioning the two of you over, and when you walk up to her you see that she's already talking to Jugyeong.

You chat for a few minutes before Jugyeong suddenly leaves, Sua dragging her away in panic because she needs her help, and you stay with Seojun and Gowoon after telling her that you would see her at the basketball game.

Once she's gone you turn to Gowoon and compliment her for her amazing performance, grabbing her hand and making her do a little twirl while the both of you giggle.
"You look so beautiful," you say, pinching her cheek affectionately before bringing her into a hug. While you're talking to her, Seojun just watches you.

He always thought you were pretty, especially when you smile, and just admires you as you speak to Gowoon happily. He's also worried about you though, still curious about what had happened to you earlier.

Gowoon notices the way he looks at you and lets out a smug smile, but chooses to remain quiet about it. You speak to her for a few more minutes before saying your goodbyes; The basketball game would be starting soon and Seojun would be participating, so he couldn't be late.