27.

Boston

The neighborhood was once again lively. Tammie and Andres stood in the courtyard with Roman and Dominique, respectively, watching each team leave the estate. Calmly they were given explanations of what was happening and expanding on why they were special guests to the Delacourdes. Roman gingerly held Tammie by her elbow and led her away from the other two. She glanced over her shoulder at the girl who introduced herself as Roman's cousin. Numerous members of the family did this. Lucifer was the only one who introduced himself as both brother and cousin. It was wild seeing so many people in one place with such tight familial bonds. That knowledge made her feel safe, knowing Roman trusted them to keep her protected.

"My time frame is unlimited. I'll call or text you at the times we agree on and video chat. I don't want to leave you, but this is something we must do. Are you okay?" Roman asked. He was mindful not to be in her personal space when he simply wanted to hold her. That wary look was in her eyes, but she relaxed somewhat over the past few hours. A small smile tugged at his lips, proud that she was healing. Since rescuing her, the soft side to his harsh exterior came about. He laughed more with her, talked more even goofed off at times. His aunt commented on him finding that one connection the universe throws at you. He cared for Tammie deeply, and there wasn't any doubt about that. Slowly he reached up, careful not to scare her, and touched the gold earring swinging from her ear. The star dangling from the 3-inch link chain laid on his finger; he softly touched the moon that served as the earring base; that touch made Tammie shiver. "Can I come closer?" he asked softly.

"Yes."

He stepped closer, dropping his hand and clasping them behind his back. "I've grown feelings for you, Tammie. I respect your need for boundaries and playing it safe after what you experienced. I'm happy that I found you in time; you had the will to live, and I want to help you with that. Don't ever be afraid to ask me for anything; I will make it my duty to see you smile without the shadows in your eyes. I'm not expecting a reciprocation of feelings, but I wanted to let you know."

"Your bold way of talking always catches me off guard," Tammie commented while trying to hide her blushing smile.

"I believe in being open with those who I hold dear in my heart," he confessed.  

It was Roman's turn to be caught off guard when she closed the small space between them and wrapped her arms around his waist. 
"Please hug me," she asked of him.

His heart was beating too fast that it made him hard to breathe. The request was small, but it was major for them. Roman held her against his body and lightly kissed her head; it was all he allowed himself to do but enough. 
"You're coming back to me, right?" she asked. It was slightly muffled because of her face buried in his chest, but he heard.

"No one can stop me from coming back to you, Malen'kiy voin.

Tammie once again hid her smile. The thought of being noticed as someone dear to him destroyed her dark thoughts of being trash after what happened. Back at her home, her parents didn't listen when she confessed to not feeling safe with her brother's friends around or even going out. They forced her to endure the gatherings with the strange men, walking to school on her own and forcing her back into society. Her mother even told her to simply get over it. How could she? 
She was free from that hell hole, but her mind wasn't. There's a possibility of being targeted again. 
Leaving home to meet Roman was the only thing she felt sure to do. His presence comforted her, and he understood the trials she was going through. A safe place was given to her. Tammie was forevermore grateful to him, and the affection he had for her may very well be returned. She just has to sort them out accordingly.