Chapter 1 : The Weird interview

If waking up late was a job, then Tasha would at least not be counted as jobless. Rubbing her eyes groggily, she sat up with a yawn and stretched her arms with a loud, ungirly yawn as she dragged her feet to the bathroom.

A quick glance at the wall clock made her immediately become wide awake. She had a job interview by nine O clock, but the alarm decided to fail her by not waking her up earlier. Of course that was her usual excuse for waking up late, however today was different. She was extremely late.

By the time she finished dressing up, it was already a few minutes past nine, and she decided since she was already late, she might as well take her time.

That was the last interview on her list for the month, and she said her prayers silently, as she applied a light powder. She untied the band that kept her hair up and let it fall down.

Typical of a girl who didn't care about her appearance, her hair was cut short, and she didn't have to spend a lot of time applying make up. On a normal day, she wouldn't even use one, but because she wanted to appear as formal as she could, she dusted some powder on her face and drew her brows.

"Perfect" she clapped as she took a look at the changed person in the mirror. She dumped her makeup kit somewhere on the dressing table and dashed out.

...

"Excuse me, miss. Are you here for an appointment?" The receptionist asked and Tasha shook her head.

"No, Am here for an interview. " She replied, nervously biting her lips after finishing the sentence, hoping it was not over yet.

"The left door towards the end of the hall" The sentence sounded like music to her ears and she hastily walked away after saying her thanks.

The waiting room was not hard to spot, and she became relieved when she saw three ladies sat on the seat provided for the job aspirants. She adjusted her skirt, before taking a sit beside the last person on the row.

Lateness excluded, she was positive she could get the job, as her CV was exceptional, yet that was the main reason why she remained unemployed for so long.

It seemed there was a long-term feud between her and the employers to the small companies she applied to because the excuse they provided was the same 'We would love to employ you, but our company can't afford you"

She had already given up when Martha, her best friend, suddenly called and notified her that she saw a vacancy put out by S&A groups online, and that she had already helped her fill the application form.

Tasha had been so ecstatic when she heard the news that she forgot to ask her what job it was, but it wasn't like she had much of a choice. She desperately needed the job to pay her piling debts.

She was lost in thoughts when she heard her number being called, and she had stood up before she discovered that there was no one left in the room.

Adjusting her skirt for the umpteenth time, she took a deep breath before confidently walking inside.

Her first glimpse of the room can only be described with one word, 'Extravagant'. It was indeed worthy of the title of the dream company of every elite.

There were four interviewers in total in the room, three men, and they all appeared to be in their early forties.

Their looks were a little over average, and they looked clean and moderate. She could tell the suit they donned were very expensive, since she had always been a fashion lover and was well aware of the popular brands, even though she wasn't able to afford the cheapest outfits from them.

"You can have your seat" The woman said in a commanding like voice and Tasha did just as tell.

The woman took a look at her before going back to jotting something down on her file.

" Did you check the terms and conditions before applying?" The man beside her asked, and she nodded.

Of course, she had to lie. If she were to say that she came with no idea of what she was interviewing for, what would they think of her. No, she couldn't let this job go.

"Yes ma'am" She just hoped they would request her CV and be so surprised that she won't have to go through the formalities and just get accepted. Life without stress can be so fulfilling.

"Married or Single" The woman asked again and Tasha was caught unprepared. Is that even considered a question to be asked during interviews? Of course, she didn't voice her grievances, she faked a smile and replied in what should be considered her sweetest voice.

"Single. Since birth." She felt like she should add that detail, since she didn't know what their preference was.

The woman acknowledged her with a nod and proceeded with the next question.

They kept asking her personal questions, each weirder than the last, and she couldn't help but ask herself. Is this really a job interview?

"Are your parents still alive? Have any Siblings?"

No!! Her answer was no, even she had no clue about who her parents were. All she knew about them was her nanny usual reply whenever she asked about them, 'You'll find out soon'.

She had stopped asking when she figured, she was going to keep getting the same answer and as she grew up, concluded that they were dead.

Life without her parents had been lonely. As a kid, on every visiting day, when the parents would come to check the performance of their kids, her nanny would always attend in lieu of her mother, and whenever her classmates ask about her dad, she wouldn't be able to respond.

She had yearned to at least see her parents, even if it was just once, but fate always disagreed with her. Most of the time, she would cry herself to sleep whenever her friends showed off the gifts they got from their parents for Christmas or birthdays.

"None" she replied in a stifled voice, trying to stop her tears from falling. She didn't want to appear weak, especially not in front of them, so she just smiled as if trying to say 'it's been so long, I don't even feel the pain no more'.

"Congratulations, the job is yours. You can sign this and an email will be sent to you shortly" The man who had been quiet from the start announced, and she felt It all happened so sudden that she didn't have the time to comprehend what was happening, and before she knew it, she was already putting down my signature with a wide grin plastered on her face.