Chapter 8 - Let's play

He gave a small chuckle, opened the chess board, and said "Lets play."

~

After a couple of rounds, I beat him a lot more than I was expecting.

"You seemed to have a lot of confidence for someone who lost 5 times in a row to me." I teased.

He gave a small embarrassed laugh, and I swear that I saw that laugh form into a sly chuckle. I saw his mouth form into a smug smirk, and I gulped, a little nervous. "Well then, you up for another round, your highness?" He said in an unreadable tone, and I have no idea where the your highness came from.

"Wowee, your egos bigger than the Ahmed's family castle. Lets play, muffinhead." I responded.

I saw his eyes fill with playfullness as he rearranged the chess pieces and gestured to me to play first.

I moved a piece (I'm just gonna refer to them as pieces since I am really bad at chess, and writing, so I don't think I'll be any better at writing chess) and glanced at him. He quickly made his move. I glanced back down at the board.

"So, what is it with you and muffins?" He said, trying to make conversation.

"They're my favourite food." I replied, not taking my eyes of the board. I then moved another piece and looked at him.

"Pfft, not surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised if your vocabulary is "muffin" and nothing else." He exaggerated, rolling his eyes with a smile. His movement showed how focus and concentrated he is, but his face tells me a different story.

"Shut it, you muffin." I moved a piece and got one of his.

He seemed to be thinking of something deeper than chess. His eyes filled with hesitetion. He then said "Then why do you calk me muffin?"

"Because you're one of my favourite people, silly." He looked surprised. Baffled. Taken a back. His body stopped moving overall. It was like that was the last answer he was expecting. He then took one of my horses.

~Y/N's POV~ (yes, I'm making you the narrator)

The game continued with silence. There were still the sounds of the grass ruffling, some leaves falling, people talking in the distance, but they payed no attention to it. Halfway through, Darryl decides to speak.

"You're..." he paused, reconstructing his sentence. "I'm glad I'm with you Skeppy. I like being with you, even if we're just standing near each other."

Zak stayed silent for a moment. It was his turn, yet his mind was switching between the chessboard and his friend in-front of him.

"I appreciate it, Noveschosch. I'm not surprised, I am amazing." He responded, wanting the last part to be in a teasing tone, yet Bad knew he was being sarcastic. He frowned at this, and Zak noticed and assumed he was expecting a compliment back.

"I-I.." he stuttered, then looked at the floor. He hugged his knees and unconsciously dug his nails unto his skin to calm his nerves. "I feel the same way too, you dork." He said, then moved a chess piece to distract himself.

"I have something to tell you." Bad said.

"Huh?"

Bad sighed, then smirked.

"Checkmate." Bad smirked.

Zak rolled his eyes, and smiled knowing no one could see. I mean, I could see, but right, back to narrating. He crossed his arms.

"Good game, Noveschosch."

"Hehe, I was the only good part of the game." Bad said before he placed his hand on his chest, then winked. Zak gripped his arm tighter, even though he seemed annoyed, he actually admired his confidence.

"I agree." Zak said, wondering how his friend would react.

"Aw, thank you." Bad said, now in a good mood.

"Hah! Six times in a row, baby!" He said, doing a small victory dance.

"Pfft, baby?" Zak asked, never thinking that he'd hear him say that.

"Yes?" Bad asked, not realising what he responded to, even when Zak bursted out in embarrassed laughter. Bad cocked his head to side in confusion, before slightly laughing.

"Why are you laughing?" Zak asked, still laughing.

"Your laugh is contagious!"

"Pfft, no its not!"

"It is" Bad leaned closer to prove his point.

"No!" Zak leaned closer, basically taunting him.

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

They noticed how close they are. They kept their serious faces until bursting into big grins. They just kept smiling at each other, like the big dorks they are.

Zak cleared his throat. "So...have you heard?" He said, leaning back to his old position.

"Heard...heard what?" Bad asked. "You can't just say that without context, Geppy." He said, lightheartedly.  Author should've just put /lh- wha- get back to narrating? Fine.

"The prince is in an arranged marriage." Zak said, in a jokingly annnoyed tone.

"Wait...prince Zak?" Bad asked as Zak isn't used to him talking about, well, him. Sorta.

"Yeah, with princess Zoid." Hehe, you know who you are.

"Oh. Hm.. I hope she's nice!"

"I hope too.

~839 words~