62

(62)

“Thank you,” Gina said, relieved.

“But I need to ask you a favour.”

“Name it.”

“Please don't mention my pregnancy to anyone, at least not yet,” Gina asked her. “There are still some people who do not know.”

“I will leave that up to you, when you feel the time is right,” Randi assured her.

“It is not my place to say anything.”

“Thank you. I just hope the owners will understand,” Gina added.

“I really want this job and even more so now that all the expansion and such is going to happen.”

“Your job is secure, Gina,” Randi reiterated.

“You have absolutely nothing to worry about. And your staff has nothing to worry about.”

Gina let out a sigh.

“Thank you. I was a little worried.”

Randi put her hand on Gina’s and squeezed it.

“Look. The only thing that is going to change is that the ownership group is going to build you a big, beautiful new restaurant and bar. You will run it. You pick your assistant managers to help you. You hire the staff that you need.”

Gina nodded. The excitement was coming back very quickly.

She suddenly thought of some things.

“What about benefits and sick days and stuff like that?”

“There will be a full benefit package,” Randi told her.

“100% dental, eye care and medical. We have full in-house coverage. There will be a pension plan and if things go well, as I said earlier, there will be profit sharing. We will pay 10% above industry standard wages and we will be supplying uniforms that will be chosen by the staff. Above that. Well, we will see.”

Gina wanted to jump across the table and hug Randi. She was beyond excited at the proposition of the new restaurant and bar.

“I don't know what to say. This is amazing.”

Randi raised her bottle of beer.

“To a new business relationship and I sincerely hope, a new friendship.”

Gina smiled and tapped Randi’s bottle with her glass.

“I believe we will have both.”

“Oh, and by the way,” Randi added.

“As far as Melissa goes. I don't want anything to change.”

“Are you sure?”

“Absolutely. Look, the restaurant has done extremely well the way it is. I don't want you to change anything. If it ain’t broke, don't fucking fix it.”

Gina laughed.

“Thank God.”

“What?” Randi asked.

“I have been watching my language all night. I wasn't sure if I should swear or not.”

Randi started laughing.

“Me either, but I said what the fuck.”

Gina sipped her juice. She made a face as she put the glass back on the table.

“Fuck, I want a drink so bad.”

“Poor baby,” Randi said sincerely.

“I, personally have had enough to drink.”

She put the bottle on the table.

“What say we have breakfast in the morning and talk further?”

Gina nodded.

“What about brunch. I promised to take Melissa out to get her hair done. Now I just might get mine done as well.”

Randi nodded.

“Better yet, what about lunch at the restaurant. You work in the afternoon?”

Gina nodded.

“I start at one.”

“Great,” Randi said quickly.

“Then don't eat and we will have lunch together. We will go over some other details at that time.”

“Sounds good,” Gina said happily.

“So,” Randi said, starting to slur slightly.

“I am going to get this skinny ass to bed.”

Both women got up and hugged each other.

“I believe this is going to be a great relationship,” Randi said with confidence.

“Me too,” Gina agreed.

“Then I will see you tomorrow,” Randi said, as she walked away.

Gina waved to her and sat back at the table to finish her juice.

She stared out the lounge window.

“Thank you God,” she whispered.

She continued to admire the scene for several minutes, until a voice made her turn quickly.

She looked toward the bar.

A man was standing back on to her, talking to the bartender.

His voice was familiar.

Slowly he turned her way.

“Dylan?”