Home Sweet Home ~ Chapter One

“Stop moving,” a voice whispered, tickling my ear and raising the hair on my tanned arms. I squirmed and shifted in my seat as black cloth covered my unusually silver eyes, rendering them useless. “It’s a surprise, Cory.”

Gritting my teeth, I kept my mouth closed. I hated surprises, they always caused me bouts of anxiety and the next morning I usually ended up with a cramped back. And I was only seventeen.

Itching to tuck my tight blonde curls undertoned with a bottom layer of electric purple that trailed down my back behind my ears, I fidgeted again and spoke up. “Can I take this God-forsaken blindfold off yet, Adam?” I asked, turning my head in the direction of the boy with the dark, almost shaggy, brown hair that had spoken just seconds ago.

“In a minute, you impatient ninny,” a very British male voice said.

“Max, call me a ninny again, and you know I will beat you to a bloody pulp,” I said, monotonely to the seventeen year old British boy treading on dangerous waters as I glared at him through my blindfold.

“Tough words for a girl that’s tied up,” he replied, and I could almost hear his smirk. Oh, was I going to need to knock that boy down a peg or two. I gently pulled my wrists against the ropes they were tied in, preventing me from taking off the blindfold.

“Hush, I’m trying to concentrate,” another voice stated, before chuckling to himself. “Yea, as if I concentrated on anything.”

“Okay, Darren, remind me of that the next time I let you borrow my car,” the deep and throaty voice of Sam said, the eldest of the five of us at eighteen. His mess of blonde hair likely falling in front of his smoky coloured eyes. Some people confused him for my brother.

Sam’s comment shut Darren up and for a few moments no one else said anything. The anticipation was killing me, not only that but the dread, knowing these guys a surprise was me surrounded by thousands of mousetraps and not an inch of room to get out. Or maybe that was just my imagination.

Soon, I started drumming my nails against the armrest for lack of a thing to do. Then a hand clamped down on mine. “Stop that, love,” Max remarked, and I gritted my teeth yet again.

“Then take this effing blindfold off,” I retaliated, baring a grim grin in his direction and hoping he’d seen it before I wiped it off my face.

“Didn’t your mum ever teach you that if you make that face, you bloody well might get stuck with it?” he asked, and my stomach clenched. The room dropped into silence for a second before it picked back up again.

A loud smack sounded next to me. “Ow,” Max mumbled, and I could hear the slight rubbing he did over the soon-to-form bruise Adam - because he was the only one that would - had given him. “Sorry.”

I shrugged. Parents were a bit of a sore spot with me. Adam a bit too, his dad had died a while back and left his mom to take care of him and his little brother, he’d had to step up as the man of the house.

“Alright, ready to be wowed, Corr?” Adam whispered in my ear, sending a shiver down my back from shock of close proximity. I locked my jaw tightly when he laughed to himself.

“Whatever,” I murmured, before I felt hands fumble and then tug on the blindfold.

Looking around, I made a face. “My bike? My bike is the big surprise?” I asked, rhetorically. “I’ve had that thing since my fifteenth birthday, not much of a surprise.” I watched as Sam untied and freed my hands before I crossed them over my chest and slumped down in my chair a bit.

“No, stupid, your bikes not the surprise,” Darren retorted, as he rolled his honey-coloured eyes at me and walked around the dirt bike over to where Max stood. He nudged Max.