Realisation

Sunlight shone through the windows as Severus woke up. He had to go to Number 4 Privet Drive today to check on bloody Potter. Why had he even agreed to do this? He knew the reason but would not like to admit that Lily had such an influence on him.

He went to freshen up, taking a quick shower and proceeded to put on the most appropriate muggle outfit for the occasion. Dressed in a simple white button up shirt, long black pants and black dress shoes, he walk outside of Hogwarts, ready to apparate somewhere near the house so that he could fulfil his task.

Apparating, he arrived at the street that Potter was located at. He started walking towards his destination, dress shoes clacking on the concrete floor as he reached the entrance of the Dursley house that was oddly silent. But something filled his ears before he could even knock on the door, the sounds of heart wrenching cries.

Although there was no physical change in expression on Severus's face, he could not help but wonder, what happened? Despite what many think if they had not known the Potion Master well, he was not completely heartless. The cries did not stop after the few seconds he lingered at the front door.

These were no 'I fell down and it hurts' cries or 'I want this and you're not giving it to me' cries but loud emotionally stirring sobs. He finally knocked on the door after he gathered his thoughts. No one answered. Knocking a few more times, still no one had answered.

<Harry>
Harry had been in the cupboard for a week now and the house had become strangely quiet. No sounds of cartoons playing on the television or sounds of toys being played with. He had already ran out of bread after a few days and the only water he had was when he was let out to use the loo.

The hunger, thirst and pain from untreated wounds were too much for him to bare as he let out a few sobs, promptly followed by heart wrenching cries. He couldn't stop himself after the first sob came out. He cried so hard that he hadn't even noticed the knocks on the door that were starting to get desperate.

<Severus>
After the first couple of knocks that went unanswered, he half muttered half snapped an "Alohomora." He was getting impatient the longer his knocks were met with no response. As he stepped inside, he found himself in an empty house, at least it was what it had seemed like. The Dursleys were not here. Knowing that someone is still crying somewhere, he looked around.

The rooms were empty, the kitchen was empty, the living room was, you guessed it, empty. Trying to follow the sound of the cries, it was alarming when he found out that it became the loudest when he had went near a cupboard under the stairs.

While walking towards the tiny cupboard, he steeled himself, mentally preparing himself for the sights he might see before him. He had his suspicions but hoped that they were untrue.

He knelt down on one knee as he unlocked the doors of the cupboard. 'Who the bloody hell had locked someone in the cupboard!' he thought seething. Opening the cupboard, the sight was one to behold. Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, Saviour of the wizarding world was currently pressed against the furthest corner of the cupboard, trying to hide himself from Severus as he cried, wounds visible on all parts of his body.

<Harry>
Harry heard knocking coming from the front door after he had broken down in tears a while ago. 'Who's here? He's going to hurt Harry!" were the only thoughts running through his small brain as he tried to push himself further away from his cupboard's locked door, preparing himself for the inevitable smacking he had earned himself for not being able to control his emotions.

<Severus>
Severus's thoughts were running wild even though there was no telltale sign of his brain conjuring assumptions as he looked at Potter, the son of his nemesis, James Potter and someone he truly had cared for, Lily Evans. Potter was a mess. Emotionally and physically.

Had those horrid muggles done this to him? Treatment like this was definitely inexcusable, even for Potter. He tried to be as gentle and least intimidating as he could when he said,

"Potter?" He had not had it in himself to use his first name, yet.

<Harry>
"N-no huwt p-pwease! Hawwy s-sowwy!" Harry immediately forced out. Hoping that his plea might be effective against the man in front of him. He knew it wasn't going to work despite everything, it never worked. He was just a freak nobody wanted or cared about, who was he to ask for what he wanted.

Severus took note that Harry's speech was atrocious. He had the speaking skills of a baby. Hadn't he already turned 4 at this point? The treatment that Harry has undergone had most definitely stunted his development.

However, the man hadn't struck him or yelled at him after his plea. He merely said gently,
"It's alright. I'm not going hurt you child." That was surprising, this has never happened before. Even the seemingly nice Aunt Marge had not spoken to him in this way. She had been alright until she smacked him across the face when he had said that he was hungry. Telling him that he was a waste of resources. He had learned to never trust 'nice' people ever again.

"No huwt Hawwy?" Harry asked once again, unsure and still crying. Barely holding himself together.

"I'm not going to hurt you Harry." The name just slipped out although he had not intended for it to.

"R-reawwy?" Harry asked while sobs are still escaping from his mouth, shocked at the responses from the man.

"Yes, really." Severus could tell that if he doesn't get Harry --when had Potter become Harry?-- never mind that, to trust him, he  might just pass out at any moment due to blood loss from the deep wounds.

"Harry, are you hungry?" He tried, he had to get him out from the cupboard somehow.

"Mhm. H-hawwy h-hungwy." Harry replied softly, perhaps if it was slightly softer, it wouldn't have been heard at all. What if this was a trick to smack him when the facade ended? But the man seemed nice, he felt like the man was an oddly comforting presence even though he was definitely a stranger. Maybe Harry could trust him, just maybe.

"Can I hold you child? We can go get some food for you. How does that sound?" Severus could see the apprehension in Harry's eyes, unsure if he could be trusted or not. He never thought he would be in the position to ask if he could carry James Potter's child. What a turn of events.

Harry had never experienced someone holding him before but he had seen Dudley getting picked up by Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. It seemed so nice, being embraced by someone that loves you. Here the man was, asking for permission for him to carry Harry.

"H-hawwy go wif y-you?"

"Yes. I'll carry you and we'll go get some food. You are hungry aren't you?" Severus replied.

Harry slowly nodded his head, scared that too much movement would cause the man to be angry at him. The man reached out his arms and carefully lifted Harry from under his arms and set him onto his hip, trying not to disturb his injuries. Harry cautiously laid his head on the man's shoulder, he always wanted to do this but nobody had wanted to interact with him let alone carry him in their arms. The man hadn't said anything about it even after standing up.

<Severus>
Severus stood up with Harry who had laid his head on his shoulder with caution, almost expecting him to yell at him or beat him. "It's ok Harry." He assured the child. If the child wanted comfort, he wasn't going to deny him the simple affection he probably never had.

Harry seemed to relax and completely let his head rest on Severus's shoulders without fear after the reassurance. Realising that his relatives were not in the house, he even stopped crying and started falling asleep as Severus went to a secluded area to apparate back to Hogwarts' entrance. He had much to discuss with the Headmaster after this.