Chapter 2

It was from a case. Wasn't it always?

John waited by Sherlock's bed for him to wake up.

He was comatose and intubated for the first day. On the second day the swelling had gone down enought that he could be extubated. He was still unconscious though.

John had hoped for the third day.

And indeed it was not misplaced. Sherlock was restless for most of that day, occasionally moaning or sighing, signs that he was sleeping. Not unconscious.

Sure enough, he fianlly awoke enough to converse with John

"John?" Sherlock muttered. 

His eyes were only open a crack, and John could tell it was a lot of work for him to even keep them open them that much.

"Yeah Sherlock?"

"W'happened?"

"Oh, the usual. A crinimal tried ti kill you." John eyed him carfully. "Do you rememver any of that?"

Sherlock shook his head, then winced.

"You've got a head injury and some soft tissuse damage. You feeling alright"

He hummed, eyes drifting shut. 

"Oh, John?" he said, cracking one eye open agin. 

"Yes?"

"Did we get'm?"

"Lestrade's working on it," John said softly. He knew Sherlock would see throught that, but hoped he wasn't conscious enough to work it out right now. 

"Least annoying...s'okay"

"Right," John confirmed, hot having any clue what Sherlock was mummering. 

He was alssep in seconds. 

***

It was another couple of hours before Sherlock awoke agiain, more lucid this time. John spent the time in between attempting to type up a blog post, but considering the lack of information he had about the current case, he failed miserably. Eventually he gave up on that and watched some old episodes of Docotr Who, which was wheb Sherlock Started again.

Setting his laptop aside and watching sherlock drift up to consciousness and make his way to lucidity. 

"John" he croaked.

John held up a cup of water with a straw in it out to him, and Sherlock eyed it up suspiciously before sipping at it. 

"John, how did I get here?"

"You being serious?"

Sherlock only frowned, "Of course"

"Oh right. The case, remember?" No he probably dosen't. He was barely conscious last time you told him and its not likely he regained any more memory aince then. "Or maybe you don't. He tried to kill you. Knocked you unconscious and almost strangled you to death.

"He?" 

"Yeah, whoever it is, we still don't know. You were getting close, but now you can't remember what happened after you left the flat and before your injury, we're back to square one." John watched Sherlock closely to see if there was any recongnition in his face.

Sherlock's face remained blank.

He nodded slowly.

"And why am I still here?"

John snorted," Maybe becuase you were in a coma for a day and had massive swelling of the tissue in your neck. That qualifies as hospitail worthy."

Sherlock examined John. He seemed to be telling rhe truth, although that hadn't stopped Sherlock from laving the hospital before.

He made a humming noise that he hoped would apease John.

He slidhis chair away from Sherloock's bed and stood up.

"I'm going to the cafeteria, and get something to eat. Do you want anything?"

Sherlock only has to shoot him a look to make John laugh.