3: Those Scions?

MONDAY EVENING

"What kind of consideration rubbish is the government cooking up to take our phones away for a day?" Reyna scowled, the reddish-brown hair on her head giving her a fierce look.

"I don't think it's a bad idea, I'm sure we can do without our phones for one day." Richard shrugged from the open arch in the kitchen.

The group of friends gathered at Richard's-as they usually did-because his place was bigger than theirs. Unlike the rest of them, he didn't live in the standard hostel; one room, bathroom, toilet, and kitchen. He occupied a two-bedroom flat courtesy of his father, Mr. Street, who was a well-known businessman.

Union operates an interesting system of capitalism where all companies created are to be handed over to the government after six years. Mr. Street had handed over a total of three companies and was currently on his fourth. It was common knowledge in Union who Mr. Street was.

"Yeah, and I don't know why you have a problem with it, Reyna, it's just one day. Plus, it's so everyone can be motivated to leave their houses and socialize." Kachi scratched the full eyebrows that buttressed his pretty-boy looks and shiny brown skin.

Seated in different places, the friends argued about a bill the town representatives were trying to pass. A bill which would make Thursday, the school-free day, also a phones-free day.

"AI, what do you think?" Kachi asked, causing three other pairs of eyes to turn to her. Art preferred the group calling her by her initials, Isshin was the exception.

"You always ask her what she thinks as if she has the final say. You guys are the ones spoiling her." Reyna narrowed her eyes at Kachi, a frown gracing her features.

All eyes moved back to her, scrutinizing, affirming the thought that had crossed their minds a few times since the resumption of the new semester. Which was that Reyna seemed to be angry a lot more than usual this semester.

"Just sampling opinions, Reyna." Kachi gave her a sceptical look from where he sat beside her on the long, grey sofa before turning to Art with a slight smile.

"I don't know where my phone is half the time so I don't care." she yawned, throwing the crime novel she'd found on the bookshelf in Richard's room, to Isshin.

"Sounds about right." Isshin smiled as he caught the book, placing it on the stool beside the armchair he sat in. His smile quickly turned into a yawn.

"I have thirty thousand followers on 'Touch," Reyna huffed.

"We all have thirty thousand followers Reyna, everybody has the same amount of followers," Isshin said quietly and he was right, the government wanted social media to not drive people insane so they ensured that everyone had the same amount of followers, there wasn't a like button and comments regulated.

"Yeah but you guys don't care about your followers as much as I do. When was the last time any of you posted an update on your pages?"

The room suddenly became quiet as they all stared at Reyna. Her statement had them wondering why she cared so much about 'Touch' so much.

Lack of attention at home? In school? Art wondered, cocking her head to the side.

Before anyone could think of a reply or speak, Reyna burst into tears.

What the fuch? Art frowned.

"Diego," she sniffed, referring to her boyfriend. "He forgot our six-month anniversary." she cried.

Richard left the kitchen and came to sit beside Reyna on the floor. Kachi did the same.

"He's not worth your attention, Reyna, it's good that you guys broke up." Kachi patted her on the back.