Chapter 1

Sophie's P.O.V.

"You know Sophie, you can't spend your entire life under a book." 

"Right," I mumbled, not taking my eyes off the book. I was at a crucial part. 

"Seriously, it's not healthy." 

"Of course," I said, not listening at all. I couldn't help myself. When I was reading a good book, I couldn't just stop. 

"You've been reading for 2 straight hours! You even read through class! Besides, you're already reading at levels beyond high school. Surely you don't need to keep practicing?" I shut my book and sighed in frustration. 

"I'm not practicing," I informed Linh. "I enjoy reading. For fun." Tam scoffed.

"Who reads for fun?" he muttered. Linh ignored her brother and continued talking. 

"But you can't just read all the time," she protested. "You should socialize with other people!" 

"But I don't need to," I pointed out. "I already have you guys. And Dex." 

"And we will be your friends forever," Linh gently told me. "But it's good to make new friends, right Tam?" 

"That's stupid," he argued. "There's no point in-" A girl running through the hallways tripped at that moment, falling and knocking Tam down with her. 

"Hey!" Tam shouted. "Watch where you're..." He drifted off as the two met eyes. The girl had rusty red hair and brilliant teal eyes. 

"Sorry," the girl apologized. "I wasn't watching where I was going." 

"Oh... It's okay," Tam responded, which was really surprising. He normally didn't let things like this go so easily. The two stood up, and the girl dusted herself off. Her clothes were extremely fancy for high school.

"I'm Biana," the girl introduced. She gestured towards her hair. "I know, it's a mess. My friend thought it'd be a good idea to prank me and dye my hair red." 

"Wow, some friend..." Dex murmured. 

"He's a good guy, just... Unique," Biana said. 

"Clearly," Dex replied. 

"Yeah, well, my normal hair color is brown, but apparently he thought I'd look better in red. Obviously, he was mistaken." Tam shrugged.

"It doesn't look that bad..." Biana smiled at him before bending down and gathering up her books. 

"Well," she said when she had all her stuff, "I should probably get going. I need to find Keefe and threaten him with a prank, then get to class." 

"I see," I responded. 

"Yeah... So, maybe I'll see you guys later?" 

"That sounds fun!" Linh exclaimed. "How about lunch?" 

"Okay then, lunch it is," Biana confirmed. She turned to leave, but then twirled back one last time. 

"Oh, and sorry again for knocking you over," she told Tam.

"No big deal," he said. "It happens all the time," he added with a shrug. Biana grinned. 

"Thanks. Although hopefully, it doesn't happen again. See you later!" And with that, she turned and sprinted down the hallway, expertly navigating through the huge crowd of students trying to get to class on time. 

Linh managed to stay quiet for 5 seconds, before starting to jump up and down and squeal. 

"Tammy has a crush!" she squealed. Tam rolled his eyes.

"No I don't," he responded. Linh winked knowingly. 

"Sure you don't..." 

"Yes, I don't! And never wink at me again." 

"Oh, stop it! You clearly have a crush. And Biana obviously likes you back." 

"She does?" Tam asked, before seeming to realize he was trying to pretend he "didn't" have a crush. "I mean, I don't care." Linh nudged her brother with her elbow. 

"And she's brunette. Just your type." 

"I don't have a type," Tam claimed. 

"Uh, as much as I'd like to discuss Tam's love life, we need to get to class," I reminded. 

"Right," Linh agreed. "Also, Sophie, that was the perfect chance for you to get to know one more person! And you didn't even say a thing!" 

"I did," I protested. "I clearly remember saying 'I see', in response to Biana." Linh rolled her eyes.

"That doesn't count. You didn't directly speak to her." 

"Well... She spoke, I responded, seemed pretty direct to me..." Linh sighed. 

"Perhaps you'll feel more compliant after class. It's your favorite, history." History was my favorite subject. Well, I didn't particularly enjoy the class. The teacher was horribly boring. but the thick textbooks allowed me to read in secret during class, my books hidden behind them. And the teacher's boringness actually helped in this case, since he rarely turned to look away from the blackboard. 

"Maybe. But mostly very unlikely." 

"We should talk about this later. Unless you want a tardy?" Dex asked. 

"Of course not!" Linh exclaimed. And she started half-jogging, half-skipping down the hallway. 

"She has too much energy," Tam sighed. 

"Way too much," I agreed. But we still had to get to class, so we all followed, although not with nearly as much energy. 

This is going to be an interesting week... I thought with a sigh.