BIRTH AND BLOODLINE

During those days, Anaba felt like a double agent

     During those days, Anaba felt like a double agent. Gathering intelligence while maintaining an appearance. She hid her studies in the Chantry, but took a book home to read and kept it under her pillow. In between her day job and her self education, she felt herself grow tired, the texts she learned did a toll on her. She was fatigued, and the locals noticed, some asking questions. She only ever answered them with a lie. "I'm fine!" She would smile sweetly until she was away from the gazes from her customers.

     Sister Flora would be with her during her personal studies, making sure nobody interrupted the teen from discovering her heritage. She helped Anaba through it, making the girl stop when she over worked herself, giving the girl tea and biscuits when she knew the child skipped breakfast.

     Everyday Anaba grew sicker and sicker as she unravelled the secrets that was meant to be kept from her.

     The day before her birthday, Marq noticed Anaba didn't eat. "What's wrong, kid?" The older man probed.

     Anaba sat at the bar, resting her head in her arms as she buried her face. "Nnthn Mrk."

     Marq squinted. "What?!" He pointed his ear in her direction.

     Anaba sat up, groaning in frustration. "Nothing, Marq. I'm just exhausted." She snapped lightly before she grabbed her fork, only to play with the food Marq served her. "I-I'll pay for this. Thanks." She said apologetically.

     The barkeeper sighed. "Your boss sent a letter. He should be coming in the next few days."

     Her mood shifted from melancholy to annoyed. "Of course, right after my birthday." She complained and she didn't know why.

     Marq offered a smile. "Come on, give him a break, he works for you."

     Anaba chortled bitterly. "Sure he does. Leaving me for weeks at a time so he can 'provide,' well, tell me Marq, what has be been providing that I can't get myself?" She glared, awaiting his answer.

     Marq himself knew the snap of a rebellious teenager, he's dealt with it before. "Look, kid. All I know is that he cares for you, and-"

     Anaba slammed her fist against the bar, alerting the tavern goers around them. "If he cared for me at any capacity he would tell me the truth!" Tears formed in her eyes, her anger was always wet, it correlated with her sadness. She sniffled, taking out coppers to pay for the meal before she disappeared to her and Bull's shared room.

     Just as she left the tavern area, The Chargers burst through the door, loud and rambunctious with glee. The Iron Bull was the first to notice the change in the place, soon after reading the room, The Chargers themselves grew quiet. Bull approached the barkeeper, taking note of the uneaten meal at the bar.

     Marq pointed to the stairs. "Your girl is upset." He explained the shift in atmosphere. "Sort of had a... fit." He knew no other way of describing it, it had been a while since he's had to inform Bull of that.