The Warrior Queen's Daughter (Teaser)

Chapter 1

Long before the devastating World Wars and the vivid beauty of the Renaissance, there is a story of a girl hidden within the dark trees of yew and the land shrouded in the mystery of blood and war. A young maiden walks within the forest.

Her pale skin is more discernible amidst the dark barks of the trees, her red hair flows gracefully against her back as she sashays through murky woods. The red ribbon marks the destination. Wrapped around in a branch of the old, enormous yew tree, the girl looked at its vastness. Her hazel eyes scanning the whole thing as if it were the first time.

Despite its fearsome stature, she only felt nostalgic. Placing her hands on its bark, she closed her eyes as if seeing the memory the tree holds. "You hold more memories I can only hope to see." She whispers. As in plain sight, somewhere up above is a nest filled with little chicks calling for their mother. The girl could only smile at the life this tree provides.

Walking back to where she came from, her green tunic and robe drag behind her as she began to hear people's voices beyond the woods. I'm almost home, she thought. It wasn't long before the girl saw the people of her tribe, busy with plowing the fields for planting new seeds, eager to do their part.

"Caoimhe!" Someone called her. She did not have to look to know who's voice called on her but when she turned to her right, her sister beams at her as she gestures for her to come and join her. Taking off her cloak, she places it near their hut and ardently walks towards her. "Mother has not noticed you missing yet, you better riddle yourself with filth as soon as you're able." She whispers as soon as Caoimhe is beside her.

"Do not worry, Ailbe. I'm sure mother is too occupied to notice my absence." Caoimhe said, smiling at her sister.

Although Ailbe smiles back, it soon disappears by a figure that suddenly emerged, towering over the two of them. When Caoimhe noticed another presence, she could only hope the person did not hear what she just uttered. "If you think I am not aware of your sneaking around every morning, you are sorely mistaken." A harsh voice said, making Caoimhe turn around to see her.

"Mother." She said, looking up to her tall woman. Her green eyes piercing hers with a stoic expression. Her hands are on her hips, exuding command and power. Her wild red hair frames her face, dances along with the wind as it gushes ever so lightly.

"Daughter." She said, acknowledging her. "Everyone is doing their part. Best you get on with yours." Her words are few but bear more meaning and Caoimhe knows it better than anyone. She can only nod in response to her.

"Buddug!" One of the people calls her. When her mother looks over her shoulder, her stoic expression turns to a smile as she went towards them. With an unspoken truth, Caoimhe knew that her mother will berate her later inside the hut as she always does.

"I'm sure mother would be at least lenient with you tonight," Ailbe said, giving some to her older sister as she smiles. Her blue eyes twinkling as she does.

Caoimhe felt a little relief from her sister's beautiful smile and words. Though she's older, her sister has a certain charm towards their parents that she cannot understand. Even then, she's very grateful for she has helped her on more than one occasion.

As the two joined the whole tribe, Caoimhe's worries eventually disappear until she felt the gazes of people around her. It is no longer a new thing for the young woman and yet she felt conscious of her every movement. When she looks back at the people on her right, she caught them looking at her with both intrigue and fear.

After realizing she looked back, they immediately look away as they try their best to act as if nothing happened.

Looking around her, she noticed that almost everyone in the field was looking the same way as those people did. Her worry turned into confusion. As her shoulders sag, Ailbe places her hand onto her sister's shoulder as she smiles sweetly at her.