Chapter 5: Talks that make us act out of character

You can't sleep.

You were staring at the ceiling for the past minutes while thoughts continue to bounce inside your head and maybe you were hyper focused on Kai being actually here in your house. You...well, you didn't plan for this friendship to take a step further to solidifying it, but let's get real. You genuinely want to be best friends with the villain that you love in this show.

But Kai is different to Overhaul, Kai is sweet and a little cheeky, and intimidating, can't really get that out of his personality, but Kai is the opposite of Overhaul. Yeah, he dislikes filt but his personality is totally different and it sent you reeling but tremendously glad that he is not his older self, yet.

You sighed and bit your lips.

What happened to him that he ended up being Overhaul? Did Overhaul get drunk with power?

You frowned. He didn't, he hated quirk with a passion to get it to control his head. Your stomach twists, it's probably because of what he did with Eri.

Moral dilemma sucks, you decided. It sucks thinking about morals that wasn't even real to you years ago. You grip the blanket and position yourself to face Kai. His back was towards you but he was shifting in his, he probably can't find any comfortable space. You gather up your courage to speak and hug your pillow.

"Kai, are you still awake?" You called and saw him freezing and then relaxing his shoulder. You pouted, he's faking being asleep. You're ready to just shut your eyes and force yourself to sleep (which will not work, you know that much because you keep on doing it) but Kai turn around and look at you blankly.

"What is it?" He whispered, scared that he'll wake up Izuku but he is a deep sleeper so it's fine, you want to assure him but there are a lot of questions inside your mind that you want to tell. You looked towards him and made eye contact.

His eyes are really pretty.

You blink, then smile awkwardly, your head becomes blank and your voice is nowhere to be found. You break the eye contact and look towards the ceiling, back lays flat on the bed as you keep your hands on your stomach.

"How are you?" You start, fuck being awkward, your thoughts get flooded with words once again but you can't really find the right word, you were lost but that doesn't mean that you'll not start a conversation, you want a talk to happen and maybe because you will lowkey going to pass out soon because of exhaustion, you gain a confidence and your instinct are wide awake and not letting your body rest anytime soon.

You just want something to lull you to sleep and maybe talking will work.

Kai exhaled lightly and lay on his back too, looking at the ceiling and noticing for the first time that there are luminous stars stickers, or something called that, and he slowly relaxed his shoulders.

"I'm...not fine, really." He whispered but the room is so silent, it is deafening that you probably heard him. He doesn't mean to spill that but it's late at night and sleep is in his system but he can't find the timing to grab it, relax and then go to dreamland.

"I see, I'm glad you told me that. You seem like you needed to let go of something."

"I...Yes, I do need to vent but I can't find the time."

"We've got all of it now." You muttered, glancing at him and found that he was also looking at you.

You both smile.

"Thanks."

And Kai must have forgotten to be his 'posh' self, but it's nice letting go and it's nice having someone to tell everything.

====

They ended up talking about, well, things, space, life, and problems. Kai told you about the reason he ended up running away. Apparently, Kai beat up the people that talk bad about his Pop's business (he didn't tell you what kind of business it was but you knew that it was the Shei Hassaikai) and ran away in fear of looking at his father's disappointed face. You were surprised that he even ended up being far away from Tokyo or he just didn't know what station he should stop at and randomly choose a place, and met you.

That is such a coincidence or...is this a work of fate? You flushed and pushed down your hopeless romantic thoughts. You're so hopeless.

There was a silence after your talk. Kai shifts on his bed and keeps his eyes open, he can feel himself going to pass out in any second now but he wanted to ask you something. It keeps on bugging him and there was really no logical thought behind it except for him owing a debt but it looks impossible to even owe something to you, so he asked:

"Why are you helping me?"

Kai did it, finally. He sighed deeply and sank on his blanket, covering his mouth as his eyes became half-lidded, and maybe there is a bit of a tear in his right eye but that is bullshit, he won't cry. He sniffles.

"Why...why were you kind to me when I just met you yesterday? I finally repaid it a while ago and you just keep on increasing my debt..." He muttered, his voice wavering a little. Curse it, he's going to spill his thoughts.

"Do you want me to owe you so much? I can't repay you again, okay? I don't have money...I don't even know if I have a house left to go home to! So..." Kai shakely breathes, "Why?"

Kai sniffles, brushing his eyes with his palm to keep it dry. "I'm...I'm clueless..." He whispered.

He heard you gasp and a shuffle on your sheet, he didn't dare open his eyes to look towards you but he heard your footsteps and he fears that you might see him flush because he is controlling his feelings, he won't cry, he refused to cry even though he so badly wanted to.

Your hand found it's way at the edge of the bed and he peeked at you to see you crying silently. He was about to get up but you shook your head and seat on the edge, trying to stop yourself from crying and rubbing your face with your hands.

"You're... my friend, Kai, of course I'll help you!" You hiccuped. You breath and looked at him with determination.

"This isn't a debt too, you don't owe me anything. You're my friend and that is the final reason, Kai." You said, sniffling a bit and wiping the stray tears on your cheek.

Kai huffed. That...is not a logical reason. You didn't even know him and you are not long time friends but for some reason, your declaration made him happy even though it's ridiculous and it doesn't explain why you helped him and did this to him. You surprised him so much. It's so fast and he can't handle you at all. Silly you, It's not like you are his first friend, he got Hari. But, this is the first time he ever got a very real one, where he is the one who put an effort to meeting you, and no one had assigned you to be his only friend. Hari is dear to Kai but you are way too different and it made him confused, perplexed, and overall surprised so much. This is so new to him.

"You're really weird." Kai muttered and hid his smile under his blanket.

"What the fuck." You sputtered and it made Kai chuckle.

"Go back to your bed." You pouted but obliged.

"Night Night." You whisper and jog towards the bed.

As sleep consumes you, it dawns on you that you didn't have a conclusion to your moral dilemma, but because your mind is just screaming for you to go to sleep, you concluded that you will just give that problem to your future self and let him handle it when you and Kai are finally older.

===

I will now update every 2 weeks because seriously I love this story so much and you guys always makes me love this story more :)

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to update last week because I was busy, I forgot it was an exam week lmaooo that is bad tbh but yeah I'll manage :)

I hope you guys like this chapter <33 See you!