Chapter 6 : "lookalike"

No matter how I try to hide

and erase you from my mind,

I'm dying to find a lookalike.

- Lookalike : Conan Gray

On Monday, as I was walking into class, I bumped into Sierra. I saw that she had a Pandora rose gold bracelet around her wrist. It looked beautiful on her wrist.

I still remember the day Levi called me to ask what he should get her just a few days before her party

"I want to give her something. Like a promise ring or something. What do girls like?" He asked.

"Hmm, how about a bracelet?" I asked, with the phone pressed between my ear and shoulder blade.

"Not bad. Do you like bracelets?"

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, they're pretty."

"Just pretty? Hahaha what would you like your boyfriend to give you then?"

"Me?" I asked.

"Yeah, you Echo. Who else am I talking to?" He asked. I could feel him rolling his eyes.

"Erm, I don't really know, but I like handwritten letters, I think it's sort of my love language, I love it when people do something for me based entirely on their creativity and memories of what happened between us. It just seems really sincere to me." I answered honestly.

"Mmm, you're definitely different haha, I hope you find someone who does that for you though, but whoever that guy is, has to go through me first, or maybe Layla, she seems scarier," he says thinking.

"Why would my boyfriend have to go through you? I wouldn't let him in the first place, and oh don't start about Layla, I'm scared of her too hahaha." I said laughing.

"Hahaha, alright I got to go. Talk to you soon, Echo. Bye." He said lowly chuckling, causing butterflies to erupt in my stomach as he says my name.

"Alright, bye Levi."

"Hey, Echo!" Sierra said.

"Hi, Sierra!" I smiled.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Yeah, sure. What is it?" I asked leading her to my desk.

"Look, I actually read the letter. Tyler gave it to me first before giving it to Levi. I knew Levi wouldn't read it, but I did. What you wrote though, all of it is true?" She asked.

My face went pale, and I was struggling to find the answer to her question.

"Were you the one who spread the rumour too?" I suddenly asked.

"Is it really a rumour though?" She retorted.

"I..I.."

"You didn't tell him, did you? He asked all of us to shut up about it, and he's pretty mad about it too." She said.

"Sierra, please, I really need you to keep it a secret, whatever you read in the letter, please don't tell Levi, please." I practically begged her.

"Echo, look. I'm okay with you being friends with him but I know you like him, are you alright with us being together?"

"Sierra, I'm more than fine. It's just a simple crush, I can get over it."

"It didn't seem like that in your letter, that's why I wanted to know if it's really okay with you, Echo."

"It is. Please, and I mean it, please don't bring this up again," I said softly looking down at my hands.

"Okay, Echo. I won't." She said getting up.

Just before she left, she turned to look at me and said, "Echo, just a word of advice, maybe you don't deserve someone like him, maybe you deserve better." With that, she left.

Someone like him? What does she mean by that? Wasn't she supposed to take her boyfriend's side? Why does she make it sound like he's a bad person? Or maybe she wants me to give him up as soon as possible?

After a while, I saw him entering the class, he looked at me, raised his right hand to say hello while giving me a full blown smile. I smiled back. I looked at him when he was talking to his friends, taking in his facial features, just like I always did. He was really handsome, and he did everything so effortlessly.

"We really need to find you a lookalike, for you to be able to completely get over him" Layla snapped her fingers in front of my face when she caught me staring hopelessly at him.

"A lookalike? Hmm, doesn't sound like a bad idea," I said still in a dreamy daze.

"No, it's actually a bad idea. You need to find someone totally new, like a complete stranger, that's the exact opposite of Levi." She said.

I sighed, nodded and silently agreeing.

Because as cliche as it sounds, no matter what, I will still try to find Levi in every other guy  I look at, just to find the closest possibility, the replacement, a lookalike.