Chapter 3: "someone else"

Cause' how could I ever love someone else?

- driver's license : Olivia Rodrigo

  The night after Levi told me he wanted to confess, I couldn't fall asleep. I kept thinking about Sierra's reaction. I'm sure she would accept him. Right? Hmm, maybe she'd say no, she knows all his player ways, so there's a possibility she might say no. But. . . then again, Levi has never sincerely confessed to any girl publicly before.

  Yes, Levi was a player, but when it came to relationships, he was serious. How do I know this? Well, I was sort of his messenger, like his sidekick, in terms of helping him get with the girl he likes. I would help him pass messages or just be there for him. I used to do it because I was his friend but as I grew older, he looked more... grown up and mature, that's when I started seeing him differently, but he didn't have to know this. Shhh, I'm still keeping this a secret.

  So, anyways, Levi did always have something for Sierra, he claims it to be, "she'll always have a special place in my heart." He was afraid of rejection, and Sierra, well she didn't really do relationships either. I still remember the day I asked her the reason why she doesn't want a boyfriend. Her reply was that she wanted to wait until graduation, which is a week after her birthday party, hence Levi's confidence to confess. The irony is that Sierra too did have something for Levi, and everyone who knew about them knew that they were waiting for the right timing.

  The next day, two days before Sierra's birthday party, I was so sleepy. Okay, I might have stayed up a little longer than expected. I laid on the table and I heard Layla's chirpy voice come from beside me.

"Echo! Hey!"

"Mmm, you sound happy," I sleepily turned to her side.

"Damn, did you even sleep last night? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. So, how was the date?"

  And so we spent the morning chatting about how wonderful her date went, and it's so great to see my best friend happy, but there's one thing I'm really envious of her, and that's the way her eyes light up when she talks about Tyler, and the way Tyler's eyes light up the same way when he sees her.

Which also reminds me of how Levi's eyes light up when he talks about Sierra, like she's the only girl in the world.

  The day went by pretty quickly and I spotted Levi and Sierra at their usual spot after school. They were both talking, with bright smiles on their faces, and lots of touching. I looked away immediately as soon as I saw Levi playing with her hair, leaning towards her ear whispering who-knows-what to have made Sierra emit that beautiful, angelic laugh.

  Layla caught me looking over at them, and put her hand around my shoulder, while we walked home.

"Why don't you try telling him?" she carefully asked.

"Telling him what? That I like him more than just a friend?" I asked agitated.

"Yeah, I mean maybe, it's better telling him what you feel rather than bottling it up." she said.

"I.. I actually wrote a letter. You know how I'm a sucker for letters, right? I wrote him a letter, expressing my thoughts and love for him. But.. I don't think it's the time to give it to him yet."

"That's actually really good, where'd you keep it?"

"In my bag," I pointed to the bag I was carrying on my shoulder.

"So, when exactly is the right time?  You told me he was going to confess to Sierra tomorrow."

"Yeah exactly, I didn't expect it to be that soon, you know, so I'm probably not going to give it to him," I sighed.

"H-how about finding someone else?" She suddenly asked.

"What?"

"Erm, if you aren't going to tell him, don't you think you deserve like a distraction from him? If Levi really confesses to Sierra tomorrow, I really think it's time to try to stop having these feelings for him."

"I can't help it, Layla. I don't even know how this stupid crush thing started but it gets worst every time. It's like when he's with me, my heart swells with happiness, but when he's with her, my heart breaks, and although I know I should probably stop crushing on him, my heart has a mind of its own." I said, looking down at the pavement.

"Maybe, you just haven't found the "someone else", someone who could make you really happy, someone who deserves you. And maybe, you're too focused on Levi, to even realise that this someone else might be so much more closer than you think." she said emphasising the "someone else."

"Someone else?" I repeated, the words sounded weird in my mouth.

All that was going through my mind was that how could I ever think of loving someone else, when he was clouding both my mind and heart?