The Unattainable

I struggled within Death's tight grip but he was angry and only held on tighter causing pain to lace up and down my arms. I knew I probably wasn't going to have another chance to escape so for now I stopped resisting and as some poeple say, "enjoyed the ride" that is to wherever the heck it was that we were going. I huffed out of annoyance and decided to take a direct approach instead of keeping quiet.

        "Okay you've got me, now where are you taking me and what are you going to do with me??" I felt more of an annoyance than of fear or distress from my current situation but I figured it would probably hit me in a minute. The King did not respond and the atmosphere between us became even heavier. I got the sense of a little child sulking because he didn't get his way. Death sat upright on his scary horse in a tense straight back manner like he had a pole up his arse. Meanwhile I had to sit in front of him with my hands bound behind my back. Besides the rope cutting into my flesh the overall experience was terrible and I do not reccomend ever trying it.

        After what seemed like an eternity of riding in the utmost uncomfortable position we finally came upon an army camp to where I presumed we would reside for the time being. There were several tents making up the encampment with the Kings insignia (a serpent entertwined with a scythe) on the front curtain doors and his colors (black and silver) on the tent's themselves. It all seemed very ironic to me and even made me giggle a little which I had to stifle after the glare Death sent my way. Some stable boys came rushing our way to take the reigns from their King as he swung around and got off his mighty steed. Without being able to use my hands I had no way of getting down so I helplessly stayed upon the stupid horse while many men who looked of great importance came toward the mighty King with worried looks upon their heavy faces.

        Listening in I tried to overhear what exactly they were yammering on about to Death. He seemed a bit aggravated at their insistent steps toward him as they tried to gain his attention but I noticed how his eyes kept wandering toward mine.

        "Your Majesty with all due respect who is this maiden that you have been chasing after? She is not of nobilty or else I would know her name so she must be some peasant girl that has caught your attention, no?" The oldest and most ancient looking man said this and I took some pride from having heard how Death has so chased after me, a lowly servant girl. Meanwhile I had lost interest in their pointless conversation about me wondering who I was, what I did, blah blah blah; I started paying more attention to something better.

        Across the way many soldiers gathered around shirtless and in high spirits had begun sparring each other for the fun of it. One in particular caught my eye and I laughed to myself at how amazing it all was. A handsome man with tanned skin was leaning on a wooden post laughing with his fellow soldiers and when he looked my way winked at me. I thought to myself, ever the trickster you are Joshua. I giggled at how perfect it was that he could just blend in so well with the enemy and never be noticed. Catching the looks between me and his shirtless soldier Death gained a dissapproving look upon my face, noticing this I turned my head toward him and only smirked.

        "Well your Majesty, it seems highly innapropriate to just leave a damsel tied upon your horse in such a distressing manner." Having some fun playing my role I added fake sincerity to my words and of course all the ancients had a conniption over this. Sighing and catching on to my little game he came over and grabbed me rather roughly and set me on the ground. My hands still bound in front of me I tried to make it look like I was more vulnerable when in fact I could easily slice through but I would never let on.

        The King stood before me in agitation for a brief moment before calling over one of his trusted knights. "Take her to my tent, and make sure she stays there until I return for her after speaking with my advisors." At that last part Death looked at me with suspicion in bis eyes, meanwhile I looked away trying to seem as innocent as a flower. This could be my chance at escaping with Josh, I thought to myself. As the knight started leading me away I looked back to Death and called out, "Oh do take your time darling! There is absolutely no rush!" He glowered at me as I was dragged off and I chuckled to myself at how much fun I was having.