The adrenaline that had been running through my system slowly started to dwindle as I ran, and by the time I reached the fifth block away from Jillian’s house, I had slowed my pace to a fast walk as I caught my breath. The cold air around me nipped at my ears and nose as I made my way towards my house.

My mind was whirling as my anticipation built at the thought of seeing my dad for the first time in three years.

Where had he disappeared to?

How did he stay undetected for so long?

Why did he have to kill Freya?

Was he even sorry?

These questions and more circled my head, but as I stepped onto the front lawn of the house, every thought disappeared from my head as though it had never been there at all.

My mind was blank, and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it.

Taking a deep breath, I headed towards the door. Noticing the fresh footprints in the snow made my heart beat with sudden fear, as I knew they belonged to my father. When I saw that the front door showed signs of breaking and entering, my breath caught in the back of my throat.

Building up my courage, I stepped into the house, letting the door close behind me. It didn’t take long for the voices of my dad and my aunt to catch my ears as I heard them arguing in the kitchen.

My plan was to stay where I was for a few seconds, to catch my breath silently before seeing my dad, but it seemed as though the universe had another idea.

“Well, look who finally decided to show up.”

I froze, as for the first time in three years I was seeing my father. He looked different to me, older and less presentable than he had. His hair had grown out, looking as though it hadn’t seen a pair of scissors in over a year, and his face looked older, wrinkled and seemingly like he hadn’t cracked a smile since he left.

His voice immediately brought back memories of when I was younger; to when he would stand above me as I quivered into a corner and waited, scared and confused, for him to scream and let his anger out under the influence of his preferred poison.

“What, no hug for your old man?”

The tone of his voice, how he seemed to find this situation amusing, made my teeth clench and my posture stiffen.

“My father abandoned me when I was fourteen years old.” I seethed out, my words dripping with anger as I continued. “My father left me to sit in a correction facility for two years of my life, when I no business being there and he knew it. My father never deserved to be a father in the first place, and he certainly isn’t a father to me.”

The amused and sickening grin that had been plastered onto his face dropped quickly, as he walked towards me menacingly, his fingers latching on tightly to my upper arm.