“Now Parker, don’t listen to your aunt,” he said, menacing anger seeping into his words. “I had better see you here soon enough.”

“I’ll be there.” I seethed out, my teeth clenched together as I ended the call, not waiting for a reply.

“Parker?” Jillian started softly, snapping me out of the angry mindset I’d been momentarily stuck in as I turned my head to see her scrambling out of the bed. “What’s wrong?”

Looking down at her as she walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me in worry, I wished that nothing were wrong. I wished that I could just stay forever in this girl’s arms, and that she didn’t have to worry about how messed up my life currently was.

I sighed as I pulled back, my anger returning full force as I clenched my fists by my side. “My dad’s back at my house.” I explained quietly, not wanting to wake her dad up.

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped as my words processed in her mind. “Whh….h…hat?” she stuttered, stepping back to see if I was serious. She obviously didn’t see an ounce of humour on my face as she tried to find the words to speak. “What are you going to do?”

I shook my head defeatedly. “I honestly don’t know,” I replied, before my exterior hardened and I pushed past her. “I just know I have to go.”

Her hand reached out and grabbed my arm, halting my steps as I looked back at her shocked face. “It’s two in the morning.” she stated, looking at me as if I was crazy.

“Jill, it doesn’t matter what time it is,” I replied, shaking off her hand before intertwining it with mine, “If I don’t get over there as soon as I can, I don’t want to know what he’ll do.”

“Then let me drive you, or…” she trailed, looking frantically around her room.

Shaking my head, I brought my hands up to her face and leant in, kissing her to calm her down. My lips against hers made me forget about the fact that my life was so messed up, because in those short moments that we spent alone, I felt like a normal teenage guy who just wanted his girlfriend’s love.

Pulling back, I looked in her eyes, seeing the tears building up as I spoke quietly. “This is something that I have to do on my own, and to be completely honest, I don’t want you to ever meet my father Jillian.”

I saw the tears spill from her eyes, running down her face, but before she could utter a word, I leant in one last time, kissing her quickly, and turned, leaving her standing there in shock.

As I raced down the stairs, pulling on my jacket and boots quickly, I could hear her calling my name as she followed me, but as I opened the front door and looked back, I saw her standing in tears at the bottom of the stairs.

My heart wrenched, wanting nothing more to run over to her and pull her into a comforting hug, but against my better judgment, I turned and bolted out the door, slamming it behind me as I ran down her driveway.

▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫