8.

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁, 𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲.

𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 — 𝟭𝟱𝟱𝟴

The scary realisation that she had not bled for now months hit Evangeline on a warm morning. Niklaus had gone into the woods and Evangeline laid in bed, her hair on the pillow and her hand moved to her stomach. She did not know much when it came to children nor being with child. So she sought help.

"Margaret," Evangeline whispered, reaching one of the maid that helped her bath some nights. "Can I talk to you privately?"

"Surely, my lady."

"You see," she started anxiously. "You and I have become great friends," and it was true. Margaret and Evangeline talked everyday and it felt like having a friend. "How do I know I am with child?"

"Are you—" Evangeline shushed her. "When was the last time you bled?"

"A few months," she said, biting her finger. "I do not remember correctly, Margaret. Could it be—"

"Of course. Was there any morning sickness perhaps? Your appetite being bigger?"

Evangeline thought and the colours on her face must had disappeared because Margaret's eyes widened, "Yes, there was. I thought I was just sick from the food. And for the appetite, I thought it was happiness. My mother always said being happy makes us eat a lot more."

Margaret's lips formed a thin line, "I am no doctor, my lady but perhaps, you may be with child. There is a doctor in the village, would you like to go?"

"Yes, please."

Rapidly, Evangeline got dressed and with the help of Margaret, she went to the doctor's house. Minutes later, the doctor hummed, took his fingers out and said, "You are indeed with child, Lady Mikaelson."

Evangeline was conflicted as she did not know if she should feel happy or sad about it. Did Niklaus want a family? Did he longed to be a father like she longed to be a mother? Did he wish for all the things she wished for? It was something that had never talked about before and the thought scared her a bit.

Evangeline hadn't laid with another man but she was scared that Niklaus might think she had, considering he was sure of himself that he could not have children of his own.

As Margaret reached for her shoulder, she asked for a moment alone and Margaret nodded her head, telling she her she was heading back home. When Evangeline finally settled on going home to tell him, she had not expected Katherine to wait for her by the wood and kill her without showing mercy. Her death had been fast and not painful. As if she had fallen into a deep slumber.