Chapter Fifteen: The Gunslinger

Start from the beginning

Well, at least he didn't know who you were. If he had obtained that sort of knowledge, he definitely wouldn't be questioning your abilities right now. 

"Your bike working okay?" Din asked, most likely in hopes of changing the conversation before you lashed out at Toro. Which you were unquestionably about to do.

Inclining yourself back into the seat, you attempted to power on the speeder, and it... functioned normally? Engine revving beneath you, the bike vibrated perfectly fine and didn't seem to have an issue at all. Your brows raised as, you shifted your gaze from the speeder to  Din and Toro. "Wow. You sure this is my bike?"

"Completely sure," Toro responded, starting up his own bike as it roared to life. "Mine doesn't spew out as much smoke as yours. Don't think Mando's does, either."

Your head whirled over your shoulder, noting the grey fumes emit from the engine, barely visible in the darkness surrounding you. Din fired up his own speeder, and as your eyes flickered between the two of them, it was evident their bikes worked adequately. Not to mention yours held a particular rumbling sound in contrast to theirs. It didn't matter — as long as the vehicle lasted until you attained the quarry and returned to Mos Eisley, you were satisfied with your transportation.

With a shrug of your shoulders, you assumed it should be appropriate to set off already — and quick, before the assassin registered your plan. She was sure to have remained alert the entire time, watching out for whatever attempt in taking her down that would inevitably come to her. Though with a Mandalorian and an ex-Jedi against her, the odds of her victory were poor, which meant you should be receiving your well-deserved credits pretty soon.

The three of you head off through the Dune Sea, leaving trails of dust in your wake as sped towards the ridge up ahead. This venture was unluckily bumpier than your day-long journey the previous day — since you approached the mountains at such rapid speed, the sandy hills gradually became rougher with each passing second. Sand irritated your eyes and prickled against the exposed skin on your face like thousands of bugs and insects stinging you. You chose not to complain, only internally groaning and desiring nothing more than to disappear off this dusty planet.

A flash charge darts up into the air, igniting the inky sky as it traveled higher and higher. Then bursting, causing a flash of blinding light you were certain would impair the sniper's sight momentarily. With how delayed her response was, you could tell it had affected her immediately. Though she swiftly recovered, firing once and almost managing to hit you. You swerve out of the way by instinct, almost throwing yourself off-balance though recuperating quickly before slamming on the pedal and additionally accelerating. 

 Din signaled for Toro's queue, who instantly obeyed and shot his own charge, causing the same to occur. Temporarily, the sniper halted. Yet this time when she attempted to snipe one of you off your bikes, she began shooting aimlessly as her vision struggled to return. But when the firing ceased, a crippling feeling in your chest told you she was aiming and calculating her target carefully now that she regained her visual perception.

Which was exactly what occurred, and she chose... Din.

His bike disintegrated once coming into contact with the red streak of a bullet, causing Din to topple over and stumble into the sandy dunes. You winced upon watching his harsh drop, only wanting to pull over besides him and make sure he was alright. But whatever happened, you needed to keep going — you were the one designated to engage with the sniper first. So you directed your gaze forward as you traveled towards the mountains, now realizing how terribly close you were to the quarry. You could now pick out a dark speck up in the ridge, and her attention was undoubtedly on you with your dangerous, rapidly advancing proximity.