20 | Broken Vow (Part Five)

Lou Miller

"You're not sleepy?"

I looked at Debbie who was sitting on top of her bed. I've been here at her room for two hours already. The party on the living room was off for hours and the gang had left off, except for Constance who passed out on the kitchen. I put down the photo album on Debbbie's dresser.

"Nope. You?"

She showed me a smile. It was not the one that made my stomach flutter. It was not the smile that could jiggle some electricity down my spine. Her smile was sad. I could see the speck of gloominess from her eyes even from afar. If only fate had been forgiving for the both of us, we could have been happier. She could have shown me the smile that she used to plaster decades ago.

"Nah. I'm not sleepy." She shook her head and straightened her legs on the bed, "You look more beautiful, you know."

I laughed, "I do?"

"Wanted to tell you that when I came into your Toyota when we were in the cemetery..."

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

"Because you kissed me." And then there was her smile, the sweet smile that exposed her cute and unnoticeable little dimple.

I flicked my tongue remembering that day. I looked back at her from across the room only to realize she was staring at me too. We laughed for a few good seconds, before the room went still and silent once again. I looked down and realized that I had my share of faults too. I wanted to be met halfways by her. I loved and I wanted to be loved in return. I could go to straight back to hell for her, but she went to prison instead. Funny - it's funny how love could distort one's sanity. Love was a cruel thing that break people into million pieces, and ironically, we all crave for love to mend us back. My love for her has never been finished and it could never be. I still wished for her to stay and say those things that I've been dreaming to hear since ages ago. Debbie has been my anchor and now that she's going away, I felt like I would be lost again. But in between my feelings, perhaps, Debbie going away must be the perfect timing for the both of us.

I walked towards her and offered my hand, silently asking her to take it, "Come on." Hold it and don't ever let go.

"To where?"

"Dance with me, Deb."

She looked at me with a baffled stare. I knew she wasn't into dancing. She hated it, like how she despised being photographed. I never turned my eyes off her, silently wishing that she'd say yes. And fortunately, she smiled and took my hand.

"You're asking me for a dance yet you don't have music, idiot."

I smiled and positioned her hands on my shoulder. I could see her smiling as I held her waist. I pulled her closer to me - closer and closer 'til I felt her hot breath on my neck and I was shocked when she rested her head on my chest. I'm living for this rare moment: this early forenoon, our vulnerabilities on the table, the silence and with Debbie in my arms - I could just stay in this forever, if only I could.