Step Six: Be Confused (Again) But Also Have Fun And Blast Rock Music

❀ word count: 1555 ❀

Hogwarts
1975
Fourth Year

Lily had been thinking about it for months, and she had finally decided. She was going to the dance with James. She knew it was definitely definitely a terrible idea, but she figured that since it was for a good cause (and only because it was for a good cause), she would go with him.

It couldn't be that bad. James was good at dancing, he looked nice in dress robes (not that Lily would ever admit it out loud, or in her head for that matter), it would mean that Sirius and Remus were going together, and James was always super respectful to the girls he took to dances (not that Lily was paying attention or anything).

Having come to this decision after hours of debating in her head while blasting Bloodwitch, a muggle band (surprising, since it had 'witch' in the name), she hauled herself off of her bed, turned off the record player, and went into the common room. When she opened the door, Marlene ran up to her and grabbed her face with both hands, looking concerned.

"Lily? What's wrong?"

Lily furrowed her eyebrows. "What's- what?"

"You're blasting rock music. The Lily I know never blasts rock music, unless she needs to drown out thoughts. What's wrong?"

Lily laughed and pushed Marlene out of her way, continuing into the common room. "Sirius' influence is wearing off on me, I guess. Get used to it. Nothing's wrong."

Marlene huffed and crossed her arms. "Fine."

"Fine." Lily rolled her eyes and went over to James, who was sitting on the couch. "Hey."

"Hey, Lily. What's up?"

"Well, I've been thinking, and I've decided that I would be willing to g-"

"Oh, by the way, sorry to cut you off," James laughed awkwardly, "you don't need to go to the dance with me anymore! I got a Slytherin to fake-go with me, so I'm good."

Lily snorted to cover the hurt in her eyes. Why did it hurt that he had a new date? "What Slytherin would go with you, or any Gryffindor for that matter?"

James stood up, sighed, patted Lily's shoulder, and smiled. "One that's really really gonna piss off Sirius. See you at the dance, yeah?"

"Yeah... okay." Lily tightly smiled as James left the room, then let her face relax into a frown when he was out of view. She returned to her dorm and flopped face down on her bed, groaning into her pillow.

What the fuck was that all about? He's sending too many fucking mixed messages. I don't even know what he wants anymore. God, why can't I just have one simple thing? One thing!

"Lily! Ah, fuck!" Sirius sprinted into the dorm, tripped on the door frame, face planted on the floor, slipped as he was trying to get up, and finally stumbled over to Lily's bed. "Lily, I found the best band ever. Maybe better than Bowie! Nah, never mind. Nothing beats Bowie. But this is pretty fucking close if you ask me."

Ah. There's my simple thing.

"What is it, Sirius?" Lily smiled tiredly.

"It's fucking Bloodwitch, that's what it is! I mean, bloody hell! They're amazing! Especially Fly, I mean-" Sirius stopped when he noticed Lily wasn't as excited as him. His excited expression dropped and he stopped bouncing on her bed. "You've heard them before, haven't you?"

Sometimes, you can decide whether you want to be an asshole or not.

Lily decided not to be an asshole for that day.