2

Another night that I didn't sleep....I wish I could sleep. Every time I close my eyes I see one of them. Why does those memories insist on following me everywhere making me feel guilty. guilt about killing him. guilt about leaving. guilt for hurting all those people. guilt for staying away. Although, I do have a reason to get up and start the day. She goes by the name Caroline; she's full of light and happiness. Her smile is infectious. I worry that I will ruin her. I know I shouldn't...I know it won't last...I know I can never love another.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, well, feel free to conjure up the name and number of that guy from last night" I hear Caroline say

"What guy?" I ask walking up

Bonnie smirks looking between us "Some guy she thinks she saw at the bar last night"

"Where were you first period?" Caroline asking me

with a shrug I say "I'm not a morning person....so what's up with Stefan and uh her"

"Elena" Bennett says "Her name is Elena"

"Their friends" Caroline groans "Like us apparently"

"Oh" I say

__________________________________________________________________________________

when I get home from school I go straight to Damon and hold him against the wall by his neck "You had to pick the one girl with any light in this damn town to be your human sex blood bag huh"

he starts choking "please"

with a huff I let him fall

"I didn't know you liked her" he rasps "I was just going to use her to get closer to Elena"

I growl more "Here's the deal. I obviously can't stop you from compelling her for information; if I so much as see a scratch on her I'll take it out of you. You will not sleep with her or feed on her"

"Fine" he states getting up "Now I know who I have to threaten you with" then Stefan walks in his bedroom

"How were tryouts? Did you make the team" Damon asks picking up Damon's journal "Very Emerson, teh way you reveal you soul with so many....adjectives.

Stefan rips the diary from his hands "What are you two doing in here?"

"I was threatening Damon" I say "Don't worry I didn't ready your diary's" then I go to walk out

he grabs my shoulder "Elena wants you to come over to get to know Bonnie and her"

that leads to a look thrown at him

"Please" Stefan pleads

"Fine" I sigh "I'll be there"

Stefan and I arrive weirdly at the same time

Elena answers the door

"Hello, Ms. Gilbert" I drawl "Thank you for inviting me"

she blinks at me then at Stefan "You weren't kidding when you told me he was old school....you can call me Elena"

I nod "Then please call me Skule"

she smiles "come in both of you"

that was stupid but okay

we all adorn to the dining room

which turns very awkward

"Did Tanner give you a hard time today?" Elena asks

Tanner is the history teacher I believe

"Well, he let me on the team, so I must have done something right" Stefan chuckles

"Bonnie, you should have seen Stefan today" Elena chirps "Tyler threw the ball right at him, and..."

"Yeah, I heard" the witch cuts them off

"Why don't you tell Stefan and Skule about your family" Elena tries again

"Um, divorced. No mom. Live with my dad" Bennett says

"No, about the witches" Elena whispers like we're not the only people in the house "Bonnie's family has a lineage of witches. It's really cool"

"Cool isn't the word I'd use" Bennett grumbles

"Well, it's certainly interesting" Stefan tells "I'm not as well versed in witch history as Skule, but I do know that there's a history of Celtic druids that migrated here in the 1800s"

I roll my eyes "The druids were all killed off....she's probably from the Salem line that came here in the later 1800s"

"He's right" Bennett says pointing at me

"Salem witches" Stefan smirks

little shit planned that knowing I couldn't not say something

"I would say that's pretty cool" Stefan starts "Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and nonconformity"

"Yeah, they are" Bennett agrees

the door bell rings

after awhile we all go to the door as well as Elena

it's Damon and Caroline

"What are you doing here?" Stefan pretty much seethes

"Waiting for Elena to invite me in" Damon smirks

"Oh, yeah, you can..."

"No, no, no" Stefan says "He can't, uh...he can't stay. Can you, Damon"

"Get in here" Caroline says trying to drag him in

poor Caroline

you could help her

shut it, we already did....she's better far away from us

"We're just...finishing up" Stefan says

"It's fine" Elena sighs "Just come on in"

Damon steps in the house "You have a beautiful home, Elena"

isn't he so charming

that's when she leads us to the living room

"I cannot believe that Mr. Tanner let you on the team" Caroline blabbers "Tyler must be seething. But good for you, go for it"

it's kind of cute

"that's what I always tell these two" Damon informs "You have to engage. You can't just sit here and wait for life to come to you. You have to go get it"

I glare at him

"Yeah, Elena wasn't so lucky today" Caroline sighs "It's only because you missed summer camp. God, I don't know how you're ever going to learn the routines"

Damon is already ruining her

I get up

"Where are you going?" Stefan questions

"I have to leave" I state turning to Elena "Once again thank you for inviting me, Elena"

__________________________________________________________________________________-

I have to save her. She's one of the only decent people I've seen in the last hundred years. I can keep her safe from Damon but what about them. How do I protect the innocence of the light from the impending darkness. He likes to take away my lights and make them his own. It's why I left; he took away her from me. He won't take away Caroline; I'll make sure of it.