chapter seventeen

Mulai dari awal

"Okay focus! We have a quiz on Wednesday about this stupid book and neither of us has read it," Lourdes threw a crumpled piece of paper at Mateo who was laughing at something on his phone. Since she had gotten sent home early from work, she had enough time to go home, shower, and change before she drove to the boy's house. She had gotten there an hour early so she could go home to work on a paper for World History. She and Mateo were taking a break from working on their project, this time they were studying for the surprise quiz that Professor Magaline sprung on them in class earlier.

"This book has over 200 pages bruh," Mateo whined, picking up the hefty book and staring at it, "Ion wanna read this shit," He threw it on the couch, standing up to get a snack from the kitchen. "You want sumn to eat? Imma order a pizza," He came back from the kitchen with a bottle of Gatorade and a bottle of water for her.

"Sure, what kind?" She asked while opening her water.

"Pepperoni,"

"You should put pineapple on it," She suggested and he stopped in his tracks, giving her a disgusted look. "What?"

"You put pineapple? On pizza?"

"Not you too," She rolled her eyes at him. She already argued with Nala and Aaliyah about this, she didn't want to debate with Mateo too.

"So you telling me-" He began,

"Here we go,"

"You eat pineapple wit' pizza on it? Ion know if we can be friends for real," He shook his head at her.

"Shut up, why are people so weird about putting pineapple on pizza? It's good," Lourdes defended.

"You put a fucking fruit on yo' pizza and you calling me weird? Yeah, aight,"

"Just order the pizza, I'm hungry," Lourdes stuck out her tongue at him, picking up the book to read the summary.

"Fine, imma order one wit pineapple just for you, no one else eating that shit," Mateo began typing on his phone, ordering the food. Lourdes began reading the summary of the book when she heard someone coming downstairs and looked up, biting her lip when she realized it was Rashir.

He looked good, she thought to herself. He was wearing a simple white t-shirt and grey Nike sweatpants. She could see his tattoos that covered both his arms and traveled up his neck, and almost drooled at the sight of the chain dangling on his neck. She shifted in her seat, trying to get a hold of herself as he made his way to the living room.

Lourdes refused to admit to herself that she had a crush on Rashir, even though she was finding it harder to ignore how attractive he was. She was still trying to act normal around him, and clearly, she was doing a good job since no one had suspected anything.

"Wassup brodie," He dabbed Mateo up, smiling and showing his pearly whites, making Lourdes bite her lip.

"Ain't nun, I'm bout' to order pizza, you want some?" He asked him.

"Yeah, get two if Nico's having some. His fat ass always eats the entire thing," Rashir advised, making Mateo laugh. Rashir looked in Lourdes's direction, making eye contact with her and smirking. "Wassup Lourdes, what y'all doing," He gestured to the book she was holding and the papers littered across the coffee table.

"We're studying for a test," She replied.

"Oh aight, I won't bother y'all then," He turned to Mateo, "Tell me when the pizza here," He told him and gave Lourdes one last smile, turning around to go back upstairs. She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, placing the book down next to her and reaching for her water again. She felt eyes on her and glanced at Mateo, who was chuckling to himself.