CHAPTER : 4 - WE ARE NEIGHBOURS!

Começar do início

"I'll miss you maami. So much." I said to her.

"Haan, but just come here whenever you miss us. Keep calling us, don't forget us. We guys miss you so much. And please take care. Eat properly, I don't wanna see you so skinny like this. What must your mom be thinking, didn't I feed you properly?" She said and I giggled again.

"Maami, trust me you are the best. You are just like my mom." I said and she pecked my forehead.

"Don't make me cry now. And Taran, learn from him no one really appreciates me like my Nonu." She said and everyone laughed.

"Okay, whatever." Taran rolled her eyes and maami slapped her arm.

"Okay, I guess it's time we take our leave." My dad said and my uncle and aunt nodded and they talked something silently not sure about what.

I looked at the entrance of the airport waiting. Just in case, but maybe I had to give up my hope. He doesn't remember. He might never remember.

"Bhai, he is not coming." Taran said pursing her lips and I let out a breath.

"I know but- I- just felt, he might-" my voice cracked.

"We understand, beta. We tried to ask him, remind him but he did not remember and it was difficult to bring him along." Maamu said and I nodded.

"It's fine. Just keep updating us about him." I said containing my voice and my dad held my hand.

"Let's go, shall we?" He asked and I gave him a nod.

"Let's go." I said and moved along holding my luggage and dragging it along and clutching the strap of my bag pack. I walked away glancing at my family for one last time and took long strides as tears brimmed my eyes.

I couldn't look back. I can't. I knew I was weak. But I cannot break down. Not here. Not now. I walked holding my breath. My dad followed me.

As I was about to check in a voice called out and I stopped right in my tracks. This was what I needed. Just what I needed.

"Nonu!" The voice said. It was hoarse but it had all the emotions, affection and that was it. I turned my head and saw him. My nanu. He did come.

I dropped my bag pack to the ground and ran to him and embraced him tightly and he laughed. And it warmed my heart. And a frozen tear rolled out of my eye due to the warmth of his embrace.

"Nanu." I said and he pulled away to look at me and he smiled.

"So you planned on running away without even telling me?" His brows knitted and I shook my head quickly.

"Nanu I'm sorry, I actually- I- I didn't-" I shuttered nervously not sure what to say.

"I was just kidding, young man." He laughed and I grinned at him.

"Nanu, I could never leave without seeing you. But- I thought-" I rubbed my forehead.

"You thought I would not even come to see you off? I might have forgotten but I remembered. Like an instinct. And I couldn't stop myself so I came here." He said and I hugged him again.

"I'm more than happy that you are here." I smiled and looked at my dad and others.

"I will miss you so much my boy, but I know you have to leave. Just remember, I'm always with you. And I promise to remember you. I'll try my best. Just promise me you'll come back again to see me." He said and I nodded again.

"I promise nanu. I promise." I said and hugged him for one last time.

"Good bye Nonu. Rab raakha." He said and touched his feet and took a step back.