Chap 7

The album is now finished, and Nick would be lying if he said it was easy, it was so difficult without him, he would leave earlier than the rest, he had no one to go to when returning home, he would always be alone in bed, crying without Andy beside him, he knows Andy is working on an album of his own, and it kills him to know he's not working with them. From the first day he knew he'd never get used to it, and he didn't.
In a way, he finds some sort of peace in knowing Andy is happy now, knowing he's doing his own thing, he smiles sometimes knowing they are both in the same little world together, yes they aren't speaking, and haven't for ages, but he's still around, Andy is still here, and he's okay, he's safe and okay, after all, things could definitely be much worse.
He sits in the studio, while the rest of them chat, all about to practice a few songs, they are preparing for a tour that is to happen soon, he wonders if Andy knows about it, this will be their first tour in so long, and Andy and Roger aren't even going to be apart of it.
He sits with a cigarette poised between his lips, while he holds a photo under his keyboard, hoping no one will see it.
It's him and Andy, he likes to keep it with him all the time, it gives him a sense of comfort, Nick smiles at how happy Andy looks, it's rare to see him like that, he's happy to have such a nice photo of the two, how close they were, it was taken on tour, their last tour together, little did they know.
It's been so long since they last shared time together, if Nick had've known that would have been their last time, he would've held him tighter.
Nick hasn't felt genuine love for anyone since, he's kissed many lips since he last kissed Andy's, but none sent shivers down his spine, he felt sparks, but none electric enough to light his soul.
He misses him.
But he misses being happy more.
No one saw what Nick saw in him, people never cared for him, but Nick always has, it's just because Andy was never that kind to anyone but him, he used to love knowing that he could never be rude to him, only others, how could that have been nothing? He has the most beautiful soul, but no one ever notices it, Nick wishes he would show it to others more, but there is something about him only having a soft spot for Nick that makes him not want to share his beautiful personality.
"Let's do Save a Prayer." Simon breaths into the mic, Nick snaps out of his gaze, looking back to the group, Warren starts plucking the strings, until Nick hears the sweet acoustic sound of Save a Prayer that Andy played all those years ago, he stares at him, it shouldn't be him sitting there, it should be Andy, that is Andy's riff, not his.
He starts to play, trying not to draw attention to himself, although hearing this again is so hard for him, he recalls all the moments shared with the group when Rio was being recorded, life was good, everything was falling into place, they were gaining the fame they wanted, Nick doesn't remember being more excited ever in his life.

And you wanted to dance so I asked you to dance but fear is in your soul,
some people called it a one night stand,
but we can call it paradise.

He wants to fall asleep to Simon's voice, it is pure bliss, such a gorgeous sound, Simon sometimes took it for granted, it is genuinely the voice of an angel in Nick's opinion.
The sweet melodic sound soon drifts away, John nods, setting down his bass.
"That sounds good." He says, breaking the silence between them all.
The three of them have an interview to do soon, and Nick is dreading it, from ones they've been through already, all they ever talk about is where Andy and Roger went, it's tiring having to have the same questions asked, especially about something that is hurting him the most.

"Do you mind telling me how it is without the other two guys?"
There it is
Nick thinks to himself, he was waiting for that one to be said, he thought they would get away with it. Nick looks around to Simon and John, he's definitely not answering, for him it has been horrible, completely different, but there is no way he can say that.
"We've found it very good, actually. We've all became so close the past few months." Simon responds, Nick sighs, leaning back in his seat, he wonders if Andy watches what they're doing now, if he will listen to the album.
"And what about the tour? Who will you go with?"
"We'll be going with a new guitarist and new drummer, we're confident it will go well." John says, a small smile on his face.
"And are these new people in the band now?"
Nick snaps his eyes to the two, waiting for their response, he's hoping they don't say yes.
"No, touring members. We're too close now to let people in."
Nick smiles at John's words, he knows he'll keep his promise.

Nick sits alone in his dressing room, applying his eyeliner with steady hands, his pupils small and focused, his leg hasn't stopped bouncing since he came in here, it's worrying him how nervous he is, he's never usually nervous to preform, ever. It's never usually been so difficult, things used to run so smoothly when he was younger, he doesn't want to grow up, but he's coming to the conclusion that he is, that things are changing now, time is moving faster than it usually does, and he hates it.
It's no longer new and exciting, there's no new things to be discovered together, it is now just the three of them, doing what they done years ago, only it's never been so boring.
"Fuck!" He squeals, his eyeliner getting into his eye, he's so frustrated, every little thing makes him so angry now.
He looks into the mirror, his sad reflection stares back at him, he didn't know how much longer this makeup would be able to cover his tired eyes, his chapped lips. Slowly but surely, he is becoming Andy, the person he seen not too long ago, who looked so drained and tired, constantly angry and talking back. All he ever does now is talk back, snap at John and Simon, he doesn't mean to, he's the last person to ever want to be bitter, but he can't help it, he's just so miserable.
"Nick? Hurry up, we're on in a few minutes!" Simon says, shutting the door and walking into his dressing room.
"I'm fucking trying okay? I can't get my makeup right." Nick says, throwing his eyeliner onto the table, along with all the other makeup products spread across the table.
Simon sighs, dragging a seat over to where Nick sat, facing him.
Nick leans his head onto the table, almost wanting to cry out of frustration.
"Hey, look at me." Simon says, his voice has always been so soothing to hear.
Nick looks up at him, pouting slightly, seeing him makes his worries slightly leave his head.
Simon takes his chin, moving his face to look at his makeup.
"You look wonderful, okay? We're just doing a small performance! No one cares for you looks."
Nick groans, resting his head on his hand.
"I don't know what's up with me, makeup is never difficult." He says, but really he doesn't know what is wrong with him.
Simon moves closer to him, examining his face.
"Can I help?" Simon asks, raising a brow to him.
Nick smiles, a small laugh added on at the end, before meeting Simon's eyes.
"No, it's okay. I just have to get this eyeliner done." He mumbles, taking a deep breath, he picks up the eyeliner once again.
"Nick..." Simon calls, but he doesn't finish his sentence, he simply looks to his hands, twiddling his thumbs.
"Yes, dear?" Nick asks, a slight bit of relief he's almost done his makeup now.
"I know your stressed, and upset. I can see it all the time, it's difficult to not see the smile of yours, so- I want to talk to you later."
Nick's eyes widen, he parts from his makeup to give Simon his attention.
"Oh Charley, that's so sweet of you, but really, I'm fine." Nick lies, he isn't exactly fine, but he doesn't want to worry Simon.
"No, you're not. I can see it, your not the same. I know I've been a real prick lately, I was just so frustrated with this album."
Nick giggles, Simon is definitely the sweetest, never fails to make him smile, simply because he's always smiling. He's always so jumpy and happy.
"We've both been a bit of a prick, haven't we?" Nick laughs, resting his hand on Simon's shoulder.
Simon giggles softly, nodding his head.
"We have indeed. So, let's just talk about it, yeah? After this?"
Nick smiles at his request, he could definitely use some talking, he's been talking to himself to much recently.
"Of course, now come on, we'll be late." Nick says, fixing his hair in the mirror.
You shouldn't be here. That should be Andy standing there. You'll never be apart of this band.
Nick thinks to himself, watching Warren play the guitar with a smug smile on his face, Nick wants to punch him, he's more than annoying.
He knows he is the type of person Andy would despise, Nick has definitely picked up some of his mannerisms after being always being with him, but so did Andy, he would talk like him sometimes, which Nick found utterly adorable.
He is tired of this already, he just can't wait to leave with Simon and have a relaxing talk.