16. Their Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

"Major, lao mein aapki dressing change kar deti hoon"

Dr. Shalini offers to help.

A sudden disappointment takes over Vidya's face which doesn't go unnoticed by Gunny.

Gunny takes a seat on a chair while Dr. Shalini begins to do her work. This entire time, Gunny's eyes are fixed on Vidya, who looks everywhere else but him.

"Major, I need to grab the antibiotic ointment from the back room. I'll be right back. You please stay seated"

Gunny nods and Dr. Shalini leaves the room. Vidya's heartbeat picks up pace as she is alone in the room with Gunny. He stares at her with a smirk as he notices the blush creeping on her cheeks.

Wanting to leave, Vidya gets up and makes her way towards the exit. Calculating her move, Gunny approaches her right in time and before she can exit, he wraps his hand around her wrist, giving her chills in her entire body.

"In my room today, sharp at 1900 hours"

He whispers getting a bit close to her

Vidya tries to get her wrist out of his hold, but in vain.

"Vidya nahi ayegi"

She whispers as her breathing turns shallow.

Gunny smiles mischievously pulling her a little close to him. This action of Gunny stuns Vidya, causing her to make a surprising sound.

"Vidya zarur ayegi, Vidya ko aana padega"

Saying so, Gunny lets go off Vidya. He can hear the sound of her increasing heartbeat. Not daring to look towards Gunny, Vidya leaves the room as soon as he lets go off her hand, leaving a smiling Gunny behind.

-_-_-_-_-

Gunny leaves the Infirmary to head towards his room when he collides with Naina.

"Naina"

He calls her out while she tries to pass by him. It seems like she is in some other world.

"Huh...uh haan"

She utters unable to speak properly as she turns towards Gunny.

He stares at her.

"Ye tumhare gaal itne laal kyun hain? Tum toh Raj se milne gayi thi na?"

Gunny utters in surprise but a smile stretches across his face as he notices her blushing even harder. It's not hard to guess what might have happened which led Naina to be in this condition.

Naina right away touches her cheeks in order to hide the blush. Gunny's gaze falls on her missing finger.

"Naina, tumhari engagement ring kahan hai?"

Gunny asks out of surprise...maybe a pleasant one.

Naina's mind goes back to what has happened few moments ago and a shiver goes down her spine.

"Rajveer sir ne uttar li"

She simply answer

"You mean Raj took the ring out of the finger of the Great Naina Singh Ahluwalia?"

Says Gunny stunned, trying to hide his smile.

Naina nods

"Means our engagement is broken?"

Asks Gunny with a smile.

Reality draws upon Naina as she looks at Gunny and narrows her eyes on him.

"No Gunny. The engagement isn't broken. I will get my ring back from Rajveer sir"

Gunny's smile drops and frustration surges through him as he shouts at Naina.

"What the hell is your problem Naina? Why can't you let Raj be happy? Why can't you let yourself be happy? You very well know that this engagement means nothing to us. Just break this damn engagement. It's giving us nothing but pain"

Naina's eyes blazes with anger as she speaks,

"How can you forget the promise of Aunty, Gunny? That promise might not mean anything to you but it means a lot to me. She...she was like my mother"

Her voice turns out like a whisper as she sobs and remembers the events which turned her life upside down.

Flashback

In a hospital room, a woman is taking her last breath as she tries to say something to her son, Gunraj Singh Randhawa.

Naina stands far away with tears as she looks at the womean dying in front of her, she is like her mother.

"Maa..."

Gunny lets out a sob, unable to let go off her mother.

But the woman's eyes are fixed on Naina. Taking off her oxygen mask, she manages to call out Naina's name.

"Naina"

Sobbing, Naina runs up to her and holds her hand. Naina's gaze meets the helpless gaze of the woman.

"Naina, mere bete ke sath humesha rehna..please promise me"

That is the only thing the woman is able to utter before passing away. The room fills with sobs of both Naina and Gunny.

Flashbackq Ends

A lone of tear drops from the eyes of Naina and Gunny as they remember that awful day.

Wiping her tears away, Naina looks at Gunny and says,

"Agar aapko ye sagai todni hai toh tod dijiye lekin mein kisi or se sagai nahi karungi. I can't break Aunty's promise"

Saying so, Naina leaves from there, leaving a helpless Gunny behind.

"Why don't you get it Naina? Mein sirf tumhe or Raj ko khush dekhna chahta hoon. I will make sure that you get you Rajveer sir back. Lagta hai ab mujhe hi Raj se baat karni padegi"

Saying so, Gunny turns around and Earth slips beneath his feet as he meets the gaze of none other than Dr. Vidya Saxena. Her eyes wells up with tears as she takes few step backwards, staring Gunny with painful eyes.

"Vidya..no.."

He takes a step towards her to explain but before he can say something, she leaves from there.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

(A/N: please continue to leave feedback!)