15. A Broken Engagement?

Next day - Ladakh Camp

Early in the morning, Naina enters the cafeteria to grab a cup of coffee when she collides with Huda.

"Phoolan, Rajveer sir ne tujhe apne room mein bulaya hai"

Huda informs Naina and heads towards the front counter to get his coffee.

Naina's heartbeat picks up pace upon the thought of being alone with Rajveer in a room. Since the time he had been discharged, she hasn't gone to see him, mainly because she is afraid, afraid of the questions he might ask her. Her heart longs to see him, touch him, but she can't. What if she had lost him once again? Her eyes wells up with tears just with that thought.

Reality draws upon her. She is engaged to Major Randhawa. She needs to keep her distance from Rajveer.

Taking a deep breath, Naina makes her way towards Rajveer's room. She takes baby steps towards him while her heart beats like a marathon.

Her gaze meets with the gaze of Major Randhawa right outside Rajveer's room.

He smiles at her while she takes few steps towards him.

"Rajveer sir kaise hain?"

Concern evident in her tone.

"Raj is absolutely fine, Naina! He is a brave solider. Usse kuch nahi hone wala"

She smiles widely at Gunny's reply. Her heart swells with love and pride for her Rajveer sir.

"And..how are you Gunny? Aap..aap kaise ho ab?"

She asks him with concern. He means a lot to her. Yes, she does not love him but his friendship is precious to her!

Gunny smiles! His mind goes back to Vidya. He smiles at the moments he had spent with her while she was taking care of him.

"Mein bilkul theek hoon Naina. Hum soldiers hain, ye choti choti chotein humara kuch nahi bigar sakti!"

He replies genuinely.

Silence takes place while Naina stares at the closed door of Rajveer's room. She is in a dilemma. Should she go and meet him?

No, her stubborn brain overpowers her heart.

"I'll see you later Gunny"

Smiling at Gunny, Naina lowers her eyes hesitantly as she gets ready to leave when Gunny's voice arrests her.

"Raj se nahi milogi, Naina?"

She turns towards him, her heartbeat picks up pace.

"Nahi Gunny...I..I need to stay away from him"

Her words hurt Gunny. Why is she hurting Raj just for a god damn promise which means nothing to him nor her. He keeps staring her in disappointment. He reaches near her.

"Look at me Naina"

She looks up and meets his gaze.

"Tum aisa kyun kar rahi ho Naina? Raj..Raj loves you"

His words fills her heart with an unknown emotion. She loves the bond Gunny and Raj share. She is happy that Raj has a friend like Gunny! Her eyes wells up slowly.

"I love him too..."

These words escapes from her mouth like a whisper,

"But...Gunny...Mein..mein aisa nahi kar sakti..Mujhe Rajveer sir se durr hi rehna hoga"

She states with a trembling voice.

Gunny shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath. This girl is so stubborn.