Chapter 4: Alliance? Maybe...

A year had gone by since you met Skeeter. Things were going great between you two, and honestly you couldn't be any happier. The day was like any other. You were on your way to Skeeter's house, excited to see her once again. You opened the door without knocking, since that was customary of you at this point, and made your way over to the living room. You sat down on the couch as you usually did and waited for Skeeter to show up in the living room. You waited and waited, but she still didn't show up.

She's usually in here by now, you think, growing a little worried. You perked up a bit upon hearing the front door open, but slouched again when you saw it was just her mother, Charlotte. Now Charlotte looked a little rough this morning, as if she had woken up and left the house without even getting dressed.

"Hi Mrs. Phelan. Do you happen to know where Skeeter is?" Charlotte looked out of it; her eyes seemed dull and she moved like she couldn't even think straight.

"Mrs. Phelan?" you question, and it seems that then she notices you sitting on the couch. She makes her way over and sits on the couch, barely managing to get on it and not fall off.

"What's wrong?" you ask, and she gives you a depressed look.

"Eugenia, she... she was mugged and killed this morning." You didn't even wait for her to say the rest. You immediately shot up from the couch and ran. Did you know where you were going? Not really, but you could assume that Skeeter would be at the hospital. You ran into the hospital and up to the front desk. The man working there seemed surprised at your sudden entrance.

"Eugenia Phelan! Is she here?" You demanded the man to tell you, and I shushed you.

"She's in room 204 on the 3rd floor." You didn't even wait to thank him. You ran to the stairs and quickly went up them. Skeeter couldn't be dead. She just couldn't be. You burst into the room that you were told she was in and broke down in tears. Lying in the bed was Skeeter, looking as if she were just peacefully sleeping. You slowly walked up to her and put your hand on her cheek. She was cold. You collapsed on the bed next to her, your tears streaming down your face.

"Why did it have to be you?" you ask, knowing full well that you wouldn't get an answer. You heard a sound, like something falling on the floor. You looked over the side of the bed and wiped your tears to see clearer. On the floor lay a small, black box. It must've fallen out of her pocket you guessed. You leaned down to pick it up and opened it. What lay inside was shocking. A bright, diamond ring with (Y/N) engraved on the side. You bit your tongue, trying to hold in the tears. She was going to propose to me. You let out a shaky sigh and put the box in your pocket. The proposal was the least of your concern at that moment. Skeeter was dead, and you would never get to see her again.

"Maybe... moving to Mississippi was the worst thing I could've done?"

A/N: Thank you soooo much for reading my fanfic!! I hope u all enjoyed it :D