Ch.7 Witnesses

- Third pov

"Where's Paul and your sister?" Mike asked as they parked in the lot next to another car. Lori got out of the car and looked around.

"I'd bet that they went somewhere by the bushes or under the bridge and are having some social-time. Ellen isn't very fond of swimming at night anyway." Lori replied before taking off her shirt, shorts, and sandals. After seeing Y/n break down after the Scarlet dive, Ellen grew more wary of the river than normal. Most people were. But the four of them decided to pull an all-nighter by the river with another friend anyway. The summer heat has taken over the night and it was time to make the most of it. Lori looked around for a moment.

"Alyssa will be here eventually." Mike stated. Lori sighed and shrugged her shoulders before running towards the river.

"Come on Mike! Don't keep me waiting." Lori called from the dock. Mike sighed before taking his shirt and sandals off. He ran to her side and held her hand. Lori looked down at the water. She was starting to have second thoughts.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" She questioned. Mike scoffed.

"Lori, they are just rumors and superstitions. There is nothing in the river but fish, frogs, turtles, and a shit-ton of rocks. The only reason why people are nervous about nightly swims now is because Y/n is a chicken." Mike reassures her before squawking making her laugh.

"You're such a dork." Lori chuckled. She smiles and they walk to the end of the dock before diving in. The moonlight reflected off of the calm water as Mike swam with his girlfriend. It was quiet in the dark river. Lori and Mike were completely oblivious to the world as they wandered further into the murky water. The summer air was nice and warm. The river not so much.

"Mike, I think we should get out. I'm getting cold." Lori said as she started making her way to the riverbank. Her shaking limbs were making it slow and hard. The current was starting to wear her down.

"Already? It's been only like ten minutes." Mike complained.

"I'm not on the swim team Mike. Besides, I'm really uncomfortable going this far out." Lori replied. Her nerves were on fire as flashbacks of Y/n's terrified face returned. She didn't think that the Scarlet Dive would make her feel this uneasy. Her mind was screaming at her to swim faster. Mike rolled his eyes at Lori's nervous actions.

"Fine. You go ahead. I'm gonna be out here a while longer. Give me a shout after five minutes." Mike replied before Lori continued to make her way to the bank. She reached the car and wrapped herself in a towel before returning to the shore with her phone. She wanted Mike to get out. Every bit of her was demanding that she lie about five minutes going by, but he's not that stupid. She kept a close eye on Mike. He never dived to scare her. She was grateful for him putting her thoughts into consideration. She checked the time on her phone before getting on her feet and stepping onto the dock.

"Mike! It's been five minutes!" Lori called. She watched Mike swim until he reached her. She sighed in relief when he held her close to help warm her up. It was comforting more than anything. They flinched from the sound of a car approaching and looked towards the bridge to see another car. They grew nervous from the thought of it being a cop car busting them. Lori sighed in relief when she saw Alyssa step out.

"Sorry I'm late. Y/n was begging me not to come."Alyssa shouted before shutting her car door.

"Y/n just being Y/n." Mike chuckled.

"I hope I didn't miss anything" She said as she jogged up to them.

"Oh you didn't really miss much. Mike and I went for a brief swim. Ellen and Paul wandered off somewhere." Lori explained. Alyssa laughed a little.

"Most likely having social time." She said before Mike laughed a little.

"Lori! Mike!" A voice yelled. They looked to see Lori's sister. She looked terrified.

"Ellen? What's wrong?" Lori asked clearly concerned.

"Where's Paul? He was supposed to be out here." Ellen said. Lori was confused as well as Mike. Alyssa looked around before looking back at Ellen.

"We thought Paul was with you." Mike replied.

"I didn't want to swim so Paul went out while I kept watch, but then I had to go take care of things. When I got back, I didn't see him in the water. I thought maybe he got out and was looking for me so I-" Ellen suddenly stopped. She saw something wash up on shore. It was Paul. She gasped and ran towards him followed by Lori, Alyssa, and Mike. Ellen was about to speak when she reached Paul, but instead screamed in utter terror. Paul had multiple small prick wounds and was torn into shreds. A majority of him was missing. Mike couldn't help the shiver run down his spine at the sight. He turned away from Ellen's crying form briefly to look at Alyssa before turning away. He quickly looked at her again to see her looking towards the river. Her whole body was shaking out of pure fear.

"Alyssa?" He asked clearly concerned and afraid. Alyssa didn't answer. She didn't move. She couldn't. Her fear wouldn't allow it. Mike followed her gaze and jumped back in shock as his heart went into overdrive. He thought he saw something, or someone, wandering along the other side of the bank. Covered in blood.
Watching them.