Chapter 1: Meeting the Neighbor

You had just spent the past summer moving to Mississippi. You were already excited about the new change in your life, and you were ready to meet new people.

Maybe I'll even meet someone, you think to yourself, smiling at the thought of potentially meeting a lover. You were 22 and had never actually dated anyone. By now you were starting to lose hope. If you couldn't find anyone here then you were gonna cut your losses.

"(Y/N), how about you go and introduce yourself to the neighbors," your mom says, and you groan. As much as you wanted to go out and greet the neighbors, you were exhausted from unpacking your things from the U-Haul. But whatever. You got up from the couch and threw your shoes on. Once outside, you glanced up and took note of the sky darkening at the sign of rain. You quickly walked over to the front porch of your neighbor's house and knocked on the door. After a moment the doorknob began to wiggle and with a creak the door opened. Your jaw almost dropped at the sight of the girl standing there. She was gorgeous! She had red, curly hair that perfectly framed her face. And her green eyes felt as if they were piercing right through your soul. She was wearing a blue dress that framed her body spectacularly. She was also wearing glasses while holding a notebook. You kinda wondered what she had been doing prior to you knocking.

"Um... hi? Do you need something?" Her voice broke you from your thoughts and you smiled in embarrassment.

"Oh, yeah. I just moved in next door and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm (Y/N) (Y/L/N)." The girl chuckled and smiled softly. You felt as if your heart would melt.

"Well, I'm Eugenia Phelan. But call me Skeeter." You liked her name. Skeeter. It really suited her. There was a rumble in the distance as the rain started to softly hit the roof covering the porch. You felt a little saddened by this. You wanted to get to know more about Skeeter.

"I should probably get home," you told her. Was that a hint of sadness in her gaze?

"Maybe... you shouldn't?" she said. "It's already raining so you might as well stay." You felt a spark of joy at this. Of course you would take any opportunity to hang out with her. You nodded and followed her inside.

A/N: OMG guys this story is gonna get intense next chapter. Thank you for the favorites and the views! Next chapter will be even better :)