Chapter 6

Jules stood by as Maya prepared the boat—she and Skye had offered to accompany her back to The Authority, or at least Salty Springs, which was as close as they could get without risking suspicion. Although she was dreading the thought of facing Chaos Agent, she was just happy to be by their side, even if only for a little while. "We can cut through Weeping- err, what's still left of Weeping Woods," Maya said.

"Thanks," Jules said with a nod. "I... I owe you all one."

Brutus placed a hand on her shoulder. "Thanks for the warning. If anything happens, we'll prepare. And if there's anything we can do to help you get out, we'll try our best."

Right... if I'm alive by then. Jules glanced around, and her eyes specifically wandered towards Skye, who was helping Maya out. Skye trusted her, even after everything... but she couldn't bring herself to tell her the next truth. "He's going to kill me," she whispered to Brutus. "Chaos Agent said... if I didn't bring him Fade, he would kill me first."

His stoic expression twitched behind his sunglasses. "Then why are you going back?"

"I don't... want to make him any more mad." Jules frowned. "Maybe he'll... go easy on you if he deals with me first."

Silence for another moment. "Be careful," was all he managed to say.

"Hey, if you need help blowing that place up, I'll ready up the stock," Tina said.

Jules glanced between her and Skye; hopefully she hadn't heard anything. She didn't know if she could bear the thought of Skye hearing about her predicament. "Trust me, I wish you could," she said with a sigh. "I made the design plans and everything, but I'd rather see the GHOST symbol hanging up."

Frustration grew in her voice the more she spoke, and as Jules walked to the boat, she set her hand on it a little harsher than she had meant to. "They took your home, mock everything you've ever done... they took everything from GHOST, and I can barely do anything about it. I'm just... useless."

Skye firmly grasped her hand. "We'll get 'em back one day! Just not today, I guess."

"Yeah... someday."

Maya started the boat.

Fade looked up from his conversation with Ocean at the sound, watching with the other agents as Skye and Jules stepped onto the boat. He wasn't sure what he would say, but it didn't feel right to be left without a proper goodbye or word of gratitude. "Hey, wait," he called in an attempt for her attention, but she didn't seem to hear him over the roaring boat engine. He thought for a moment and recalled the name they had used for her, and he shouted once more. "Jules!"

He exhaled a relieved sigh when she finally turned towards him, and feeling around his face for the edges of his mask, he slipped it off. The cool air rushed his face as he looked to her in silent gratitude. "Thank you," he mouthed.

Jules smiled at him, and as she gave him a firm nod, the boat sped away.

~•~

The walk was a drag as she climbed up the several flights of stairs, and frankly, she wished she could have made it even slower.

Jules didn't have a plan, really. What would she say to tame Chaos Agent's soon wrath? What could she say? Who wasn't to say... he wasn't standing before his door with a gun, ready to fire the second she stepped into view?

She didn't have to mention GHOST. She could say, "he attacked me and escaped," and he wouldn't suspect a thing about them, right...? But this was Chaos Agent. He knew all and saw all. Who am I kidding?

Despite her fears, she quickened her pace, ready to get her punishment over and done with, once and for all. "Let's get it over with," she muttered.

She knocked on the door to his office. No response. She knocked again, trying not to pound too hard.