Chapter 2: Greg's Unexpected Visit

"So how have you been keeping yourself Molly?"

Greg spoke as he accepted my offer of entrance to my flat, slipping off his jacket to make himself more comfortable and reclimbatise to the sudden change of temperature. Hanging it carefully next to mine on the near by coat rack, he quickly turned to face me, a small smile still tugging the sides of his face in light of gaining access to my flat.

"Well..difficult as always but..I'm doing okay. I can't imagine it being much better for you though Greg, I mean lets be honest "

My words were laced with deception though there was nothing I could do about that. Greg couldn't know a thing of what had happened to Sherlock, as much as I longed to take away the hurt that was obviously bubbling through his pupils at the mere mention of the apparent 'death' of his friend. He seemed to fall silent after my comment, his hands slowly falling to his sides as the sad expression on his molded contours became more and more visible, emotions running high for both of us. 

"Well..We all have our coping mechanisms I suppose, being surrounded by good people helps, though I can't imagine what this must be like for John. Or his parents come to mention..."

I just wished I could allow myself to come and out and tell the truth about everything, about Sherlock's plan to dismantle Moriartiy's criminal web and that it was all just to protect the people he cared about the most. Despite being labelled a sociopath, Sherlock really did have a heart, he just chose to use the less conventional ways of expressing care and love for the ones closest to him  and often this projected him to be something completely juxtaposed. I listened intently to Greg as he spoke, reaching over for the kettle before filling it up with reasonably fresh water from the kitchen sink, placing it back onto it's little hub, flicking the switch and turning myself arounf so I could face the man who was addressing me, trying my hardest not to allow my hurt to flush my features. 

"I really do feel for poor John, I only wish he would allow us all to help him...though I can't blame him for wanting to be left alone. I suppose Mary, his new partner, is doing a good job at taking care of him and we should be happy at least for him he is starting to move on"

I knew from experience it wasn't as easy as all that. From time to time, and yes I knew this was completely illogical and had no reason behind it, I sometimes thought fondly of Jim Moriarty. Well, obviously he was different back then, despite the fact I now knew the only reason he had taken an interest in me was because he wanted to get closer to Sherlock. For a short while, we shared some amazing times together, and the sex really was out of this world. I smiled to myself with fondness as the water started to boil quickly inside of the kettle, instantly popping the piece of simplistic machinery off completely before lifting the boiling contents over Greg's mug and pouring generously. Leaving the tea bag inside, I stirred the sugar until it had dissolved into the solution before carefully handing him the warm mug, smiling all the while to release the tension of out conversation. He gratefully accepted, inadvertently brushing his masculine fingertips over mine in the process which made me jump just a fraction, my own cheeks flushing a bright shade of pink, though I desperately tried not to get too flustered, incase I aroused suspicion with the Dectective Inspector. 

"Ooo cheers Mols, I've been looking for a lovely brew all morning!"

He chuckled lightly before looking over his shoulder towards the sofa, gesturing with his free hand lazily.

"May I?"

"Yeah, of course! Knock yourself out!" 

And without another word, he wandered himself carefully over to the cream sofa littered with microscopic cushions of meaningless existence, settling himself down directly in front of the television set that was blaring a old episode of The Jeremy Kyle Show. Once my own milkier version of his brew was done, I brought myself over to the sofa and sat myself comfortably beside him, holding the warm contents of an old Valentines Day mug close to my mouth, making small sips easy to consume. There had to be a real reason as to why Greg was here, I could feel the tension between us rising, and I wasn't sure if it was rage towards myself or sexual tension. Either way, I would get the truth out of him. I could be a pretty good detective when I wanted to be. 

"Greg..." 

I began slowly, bring my mug down slightly from my lips so I could at least give him the decency of a proper conversation without being rude. 

"Yes Molly?"

"Why are you really here? I mean, you have no family around this part of London, and you certainly don't patrol these parts either" 

He cleared his throat awkwardly setting his own mug on the coffee table inches away from his feet. I knew I was putting him on the spot rather unfairly, but even I knew he wasn't around these parts out for a leisurely ride in his unmarked police vehicle. No one in their right mind would openly choose to go here unless they had someone unfortunate enough living in this part of London that was close enough for them to warrant a visit. After placing his mug down onto the oak coffee table, he turned his head to face me, a sudden change in his demeanour and the heav dilation of his blackened pupils was all the answer I needed. Words weren't necessary but of course, I knew he felt the need to explain.

"Ah...you got me. Listen Molly..."

His tone suddenly softened, as I myself had resorted to retreating my mug onto the safety of the coffee table, preventing accidental spillages which would indefinitely make this even more awkward than it was getting.

"..I came here because I missed you. Hell, we all are! I mean, you think we don't give a shit about you darlin' but we do. Anderson and Donovan have been asking for your whereabouts, and even John and Mary are concerned..I mean, you'd completely disappeared and I couldn't have my own pathologist thinking she didn't have a friend in this world..."

"So that's what this is about?"

"Well...yes and no..I...I um...wanted to ask you to dinner tonight, you know, just the two of us. We could go to that restaurant that John and Mary have been going on about, yeah? I just wanna do something nice for you, I know how hard this has been on you too.." 

His soft words of kindness were hard to ignore and even more difficult to come back to. His own stature shifted gently so that his shoulder pressed lightly against mine, obviously wanting just a little connection between us to soothe his racing nerves. I wasn't so sure if this is what I wanted. Greg knew how much I felt for Sherlock and now...He was the one hitting on me? I couldn't bring myself to look at him as his words were making me feel more uncomfortable by the minute, lacing my own fingetips together on my lap to try and distract myself. Greg meant a lot to me. Bu I never would have gone as far as wanting him as a partner. He was still legally married for fucks sake! He leaned himself forward again, and carefully placed his hooked index finger underneath my chin, lifting my head upwards so that I was forced to make eye contact with him, his head leaning dangerously closer then I ever thought he would dare. 

"..and besides...I could take your mind off a few things..I like you Molly..I always have, I just thought it inappropriate to ever make a move on you while you were chasing after Sherlock so frantically..Gimme a chance Mols and I won't let you down.."

The last of his sentance trailed into nothingness as he leaned the remaining few centimetres seperating our lips and pressed them gently against mine his eyes fluttering closed while mine remained sharply opened, surprised and uncomfortable by the entire gesture. Admittedly, his lips were rather enticing; soft and plump, using his obvious experience to move expertly against my own smaller but much more reformed mouth. At no point did I return the gesture. This was wrong. So very wrong. My hands bravely lifted themselves upwards from my lap and gently pushed his chest backwards from mine, firmly detaching his lips from my own.

"I'm sorry Greg...I can't do this.."