Invitation

In Principal Hernandez's office, Will stands in between El and Daniel, head down and eyes on the floor. El clutches onto his arm. "So," Principal Hernandez says, leaning back in her chair, "who wants to explain to me what happened?"

Will and El exchange glances. They really should have thought this through more. He should have known they'd get caught. Other than the satisfaction of embarrassing those jerks in front of the entire school, Will and El were still exactly where they were before in terms of dealing with them. And now that they'd gone and done this, they most definitely pissed them off. Royally.

Daniel takes a step forward. "It wasn't them, Principal Hernandez. It was all me. Those guys only blamed Will and Eleanor because they've been bullying these two for weeks and got in trouble for it."

Principal Hernandez watches him. "You poured the paint all over them? By yourself?"

"Yep. All me."

"So, you're saying you ran all the way across the school from the announcements office to the C wing to pour paint on them? In less than a minute?"

"I'm considering joining the track team."

Principal Hernandez looks at Will and El. "Is this true?"

El glances at Will. Will clears his throat. "Yeah, he's really fast."

Face stern, Principal Hernandez exhales and shifts her gaze back to Daniel. "Okay. Detention after school for a week, starting the Monday we get back." She looks at Will and El. "It would be in your best interest to report incidents of bullying rather than taking it into your own hands. For further reference."

Will and El murmur, "Okay."

"You can return to your classes now."

When they leave the office and get out into the hallway, Will turns to Daniel. "Why did you take the fall for us?"

Putting his hands in his pockets, Daniel shrugs. "They got what was coming to them, and you don't deserve to get punished for it."

The corners of Will's mouth turn up in a smile. Spinning in a circle, El hops over to Will's side and leans on his shoulder. "Thanks," El says to Daniel.

"No biggie." There's a beat of silence before Daniel motions down the hall. "Shall we get to class?"

The three of them walk down the hall. Will thinks back to this morning when his mom suggested inviting a friend over for his birthday. Looking at Daniel, he slows his walk. "Hey, Daniel?"

"Hm?"

When Daniel meets his gaze, Will averts his eyes to the floor. "I know we haven't really hung out or anything," he says, "but my birthday's tomorrow, and my mom said I should invite someone, and I don't know, but I was wondering if you want to come over? I mean, you don't have to. I totally get it if you don't want to or anything."

"It's your birthday tomorrow?"

Will nods.

Grinning, Daniel shakes Will's shoulder. "Awesome, man! Happy birthday!" He gives Will a pat on the back. "Yeah, Byers, I'd be delighted. Your place tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

He pulls a marker out of his pocket, hands it to Will, and lifts his forearm up to him. "Write down your address."

"Oh. Yeah." Will takes the cap off the marker and scrawls their address down on Daniel's arm. He pops the cap back on and hands it back to Daniel.

"What time?"

"Oh, uh... five? Or whenever you can."

"Five sounds good. I'll be there." As they head into the stairwell and El starts to head down, Daniel raises a hand in the air. "Do you guys want to come to a party?"

Pausing, El furrows her brows. "Party?"

"Yep. At Montrose Beach a couple minutes from the Rollerlux. It's right after school if you two are interested."

Will and El meet eyes. They've never been to a party here before. "Do you-?" Will murmurs to El.

She shrugs. "Okay."

Will turns to Daniel. "Yeah, okay. We'll be there."

"Nice. See you there."