Chapter 9

Michael walked back into the house and let out a sigh of frustration. He turned to look at the food on the counter. 'Way to go overboard.' He thought as he rolled his eyes. He couldn't figure out what it was about Callie that made him feel so conflicted. She was beautiful. She was young, much younger than himself he noted. He didn't trust her but there was a part of him that wanted to. He had promised himself a long time ago that he was done with women, with relationships, and reminded himself of that as he placed some food on his plate. 

   'Still,' He thought to himself, having loaded his plate and turning to walk back out to the patio. 'I've got to figure this girl out.'

   He walked over to the opened glass door and leaned against it for a moment. He watched as Callie closed her eyes and leaned her head back, taking in the sun. The light made her skin and hair glow. He noticed, a bit uncomfortably, that she was quite voluptuous and Lisa's old clothes hugged her curves in all of the right places. He watched her chest rise and fall with her breathing. He admired how relaxed she seemed.

   She lifted her head and her eyes met with Michael's. 'Damn.' He thought. 'It's too late to turn your head now.' She had already caught him staring at her with an uncontrollable grin on his face. 'Go with it.' He ordered himself. 

   "It's nice to finally use this patio." He said nonchalantly walking towards the table.

   "Oh, did you just move in?" She asked ignoring the fact that Michael had just been caught staring at her. He was struck by the honest tone of her voice. 

   He sat down and shrugged. He looked away from her and to the trees and gardens that surrounded them. "About 10 years." He smiled and added, "But with the way I'm always traveling, I haven't really spent much time here."

   "Do you travel for your job?" Again he was struck by her innocence. It was as if she actually didn't know who he was. 'Perhaps,' he thought, 'that's what makes her so attractive.'

   "Yes. I do." He grinned again. 

   "So, what do you do?" She leaned forward propping her elbow on the table and resting her head on her knuckles. He had her total attention he noted. She hadn't even touched her food.

   "I'm a singer." He gave a short nervous chuckle. "I sing and dance... write... produce..." Talking about himself made Michael uncomfortable. "Just a little of everything having to do with music."

   "Well you must be very successful." She grinned.

   "You could say that." He responded. "Well...uh..." He started nervously gesturing to the food before him. It had just dawned on him that she may have been waiting for him to start.

   "Oh...uh..." She broke her focus on him and looked down at her plate. She pulled her elbow from the table and lay her hands together in her lap. She paused then looked up shyly. "Would it bother you if I said grace first?" She almost whispered. 

   Michael felt his face flush. How long had it been since he had thanked the Lord for anything? He couldn't even remember now. "No. Not at all. Be my guest." He said honestly and he bowed his head to join her in prayer. 

   When he looked up at her again, she seemed to be more of an angel. He felt his stomach turn in knots growing even more unsure of this woman across from him. 

   Callie looked up at Michael and smiled. She picked up a strawberry from her plate and held it by her mouth. "So, have I heard of any of your music?" She took a bite of strawberry and watched him waiting. "Didn't you have a tv growing up?" He asked confused.

   "No. I grew up on a farm that's kinda out in the middle of nowhere. They don't run cable that far out. And even if they did, my parents are pretty religious. We hardly even listened to the radio." She shrugged as she explained. 

   Michael watched her in bewilderment. "Seriously?" He asked amused. "This is the 90's... You do know it's the 90's don't you?" He joked.

   She chuckled. "Shut up!" She ordered playfully. "Why do you think I left? I wanted to see more of the world. They weren't exactly thrilled." She looked down and her tone turned serious.

   She continued to eat and Michael watched her deep in thought. "It might be nice.." He started after a moment. When she looked up, he continued. "To be shut off from the world. That's why I built Neverland. It's really the only place I can come to to escape." He looked around again at his sanctuary. 

   "Escape from what?" She had stopped eating and looked at him wide eyed and patiently waiting. 

   "Everyone. Reporters. Fans. Sometimes I even need to get away from my own family. So I built Neverland." He sighed. He looked back at her and she smiled sweetly.

   "You must be a pretty big deal." She said sweetly. She sounded genuine but unimpressed. Michael found it made him like her even more and had trouble taking his eyes away from her. They locked eyes for a moment before she broke the stare.

   "Okay now. No changing the subject." She gave a mischievous grin. "I wanna hear some of your songs."

   "Right now?" He looked down at the food and back up at her.

   "Why not? You're a singer aren't you?" She said playfully. 

    Michael chuckled nervously at being put on the spot. Then he closed his eyes and thought for a minute. 

"Looking outAcross the nighttimeThe city winks a sleepless eyeHear her voiceShake my windowSweet seducing sighs"

   Callie smiled at him. She had stopped eating and rested her chin on her clasped hands, elbows leaning on the table.

"Get me outInto the nighttimeFour walls won't hold me tonightIf this townIs just an appleThen let me take a bite... Have you heard it?" Michael stopped noticing her smile. 

   "Not at all." She smiled. "But it's really beautiful."

   "Thanks..." Michael giggled shyly. "How about this one...They told him don't you ever come around hereDon't wanna see your face, you better disappearThe fire's in their eyes and their words are really clearSo beat it, Just beat it...Beat it.....Beat it....No one wants to be defeated...  No?"

   "No... sorry." Callie answered embarrassed. 

   "Okay, okay..." Michael answered. He was really getting into the challenge and it was nice to see Callie's face reacting to his songs for the first time. 

"People always told me be careful what you doAnd don't go around breaking young girls' heartsAnd mother always told me be careful who you loveBe careful what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth... Hey-ay-ay...Billie Jean is not my loverShe's just a girl who claims that I am the oneBut the kid is not my sonShe says I am the one, but the kid is not my son..."

   "Oh my gosh! I've heard that one!" Callie's face lit up with recognition. "I love that song!"

   "You've heard it, really?" Michael asked. 
   "Yea, it was on the radio on my way... well here..." She giggled. Michael laughed too. "You are really talented, Michael." She said smiling sweetly at him. Michael felt himself redden with embarrassment. He smiled back and looked down at his plate. They continued to eat in silence. 

   "So, when we're done," She looked up as Michael broke the silence between them. "I can drive you to your car. You can get your things... your clothes and stuff."

   "Oh," Callie exclaimed in surprise. "I thought... I... uh..."

   "There's really no point for you to walk all the way to town." Michael interrupted. "I have the room and there's no one open until Monday...And I'm willing to bet that any hotels you would come across have no vacancies...  Unless you want to leave..."

   "No. No...I'd love to stay. Thank you." She smiled again.