chapter ten

Otis, August and Tuesday were hanging out in August's bedroom - the two had been watching The Queen's Gambit together and sharing takeout food whilst Lou was out with Jean and some friends (apparently Mr Groff's ex wife, but the kids didn't really want to think of that). An episode came to an end, and the classic 'are you still watching' sign popped up on the screen, making the three teens groan - all of them clearly too lazy to get up and clear the screen.

"Alright then," August said, sitting up with a sly grin, "Let's talk gossip." She said, turning to face her twin sister, "Tuesday, spill the tea on what's going on between you and Maeve."

Otis perked up and turned to look at his cousin, clearly fascinated by what was to be said by Tuesday who's cheeks had turned a light shade of pink at the blunt question.

"Uhh, I mean not much."

"'Not much'?" August mocked, making a face of disbelief and looking between Otis and her "She's here like everyday, so much so that I'm shocked she's not here right now and Otis told me that you guys kissed before the party."

Tuesday frowned and turned to Otis, "How did you know we kissed then?"

"I'm a sex therapist." He joked, sitting up straight and mocking the action of tightening the invisible tie around his neck, "I could read the both of your faces when Eric and I answered in no time."

Tuesday cackled as she threw her head back and threw a pizza crust in his direction.

"Well?" August questioned impatiently.

Tuesday shrugged, "There really is not much going on." She defended, "We're just kinda figuring things out."

"Have you kissed since the party?" August questioned.

"A few times, yeah." Tuesday replied, "But, like, nothing really more than a peck."

Otis shrugged as he brought the bottle of beer up to his mouth, "More than I ever got."

Tuesday laughed awkwardly, "About that... are you cool with it?"

Otis waved her off immediately, "Absolutely, I'm happy for you." He said, "You guys will be good together, I'm sure of it." He complimented, "Besides, I'm the one who got Ruthie away from you and Maeve towards you at the party."

"Well, maybe you should make a move," August suggested, "Ask her out on a date or something?"

Tuesday shook her head, gulping down some of her own beer as she followed Otis' lead, "I don't think Maeve is the 'take her out on a date' type of person."

August nodded in agreement, "Well it doesn't have to be a dinner date setting, just have some time alone." She said, "Watch a movie together or something."

"We do that all the time though." Tuesday sighed, "I don't know when or how I can take things to the next step." She vented, "...and sometimes I worry she doesn't really like me as much as I like her."

Otis shook his head immediately, "No way," He disputed, "She really likes you, Tues. The girl is basically one step away from being obsessed with you."

Tuesday chuckled at the boy's phrasing.

"Seriously," Otis began, taking her laugh as her not believing him, "I think you're all we talk about now and she treats you so differently compared to everyone else."

Tuesday frowned, "Different how?"

Otis shrugged, "Just gentle and sweet." He said, "You hear all the names she calls me and everyone else!" He exclaimed, "I mean, she calls Eric 'piss flaps' for Christ sakes."