Five

When the elevator opened on the top floor, I couldn't hide my nervousness as I took a deep breath and marched on towards his office. My stomach started to knot while I kept on getting closer. Then I looked up towards the desk outside, to the desk where I used to sit. My mouth suddenly hung wide open at what I saw.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in surprise, staring at him as he started back in shock.

"Andy? Andy Peterson?" Evan's deep voice became breathless as he tried to recover. "What are you doing here?" he asked after he cleared his throat.

"I, Uhm, I am..." I stammered and averted my eyes from his, trying to find an excuse for my sudden appearance.

Thankfully, I was saved from the inevitable interrogation. "Andy, is that you? What are you doing here, dear? I didn't know you were coming." Maggie entered the hall from the break room, holding a mug.

"Hey, Maggie. I just came by to see you. How have you been?" I lied smoothly, walking towards her for a hug.

She went to his desk and placed the cup before giving me a hug. I reciprocated, wrapping one arm around her as I balanced the coffee on my other hand. "I'm fine. How about you?" I replied as I let her go.

"I'm good." She gave me a reassuring smile as she stepped around me to go to her desk. "What brings you here?" she asked and sat down.

"Oh, I just came by to say hi," I replied wearily as I placed the coffee on her desk. "I got you some coffee. I know you wouldn't be able to get some today."

"Oh, thank you. You are a lifesaver." She beamed as she grabbed the cup I placed in front of her. Then she turned to her right, eyeing Evan in interest. "Do you two know each other?" she asked as she looked back at me.

I opened my mouth for a reply but stopped when Evan replied first. "Ah, yes. She is a co-worker of my sister. We met over lunch a few days ago."

"I didn't know you work here. I thought you said you work for a not-so-famous company," I stated after his explanation.

"Well, it would be bad if I did tell the truth, but it seems like you are the one who's been hiding a lot of things. How did you know Miss Margarette?" he asked, turning the heat on me.

"I, we... Maggie and I met a few months ago from my last job," I stammered slightly before replying vaguely.

"What job was that?" Evan asked skeptically as he looked at me with refined interest.

Did he connect the dots? I remembered Sydney telling him about William being beyond his standards. She did not mention his name, though. Did he guess that out himself?

"She was a waitress and a bartender for one of Maxwell's restaurant chains and clubs," Maggie replied on my behalf, making me look at her gratefully.

"Oh, is that so? I thought you worked as a secretary before, maybe that was how you met. Syd told me something like that in passing..." He nodded stiffly and trailed off as he processed Maggie's answer.

"Well, I think I should go. I just came by to say hi," I said a little nervously. After that, I slowly paced towards the elevator. I didn't know how I would react if William was here. I only hoped that he was still at a meeting or something.

"You're going already? I'll escort you back down to the lobby." Evan quickly stood up from his desk and walked towards me.

I held up my hand in protest. "No, I can get by just fine. You have work to do here." I made a quick glance at Maggie's direction.

She looked amused as she silently glanced between Evan and me. I silently pleaded for help when our eyes meet. She gave me a coy smile before turning back to her computer monitor. I've never felt more betrayed in my life.