23 | pranks and fun

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here?" I ask him while I zip the bag.

I have already signed the book as taken in the library register before entering so I won't have to face the librarian anymore after breaking one of her rules at least.

Carter leans on the bookshelf as he watches me with his hands in his pockets.

"Got bored. Couldn't find you anywhere."

I finish zipping my bag and turn to him. He is wearing a white full-sleeved T-shirt with a pair of black jeans. His black combat boots have lost their color and now appear a dull grey instead. He seems to own only two pairs of shoes and both of them could use a good cleaning someday. There are bags under his eyes but he still manages to look attentive and put together, something which I struggle to be.

"You missed me?"

He clicks his tongue. "More than you can imagine."

I throw him a broad smile. Carter's been taking the night watch for Mr. Bell at the hospital and comes to school straight from there. Even though Melody begged him to let her take his place, he wouldn't and instead asked her to take care of me.

"Will you stay today too?" I ask, hoping that he says no this time.

I know that taking care of Mr. Bell is important but I hate to see him so tired all the time. He deserves a break too.

He moves a step closer to me and holds me by my waist.

"Only if you promise we can spend the day in bed," he whispers as he leans down to brush his lips against mine.

I lick my lips because they are dry with the urge to kiss him. We still haven't done anything except kiss which is new for Carter because he always has girls welcome him even when he isn't in his right senses. It makes me sad that they appreciate his body but forget to take a look at his heart which needs love too.

"I will..." I nod, kissing him.

I pull away just as quickly, not wanting us to be punished but Carter keeps our foreheads pressed together.

"It's great. We should go home right now, then," he breathes and I chuckle.

"I feel like Ross," I chuckle, recalling an episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. "I'm a homeless person in a very serious relationship."

Carter pulls back just a little to give me a frown.

"You aren't homeless," he says and takes hold of my hand to place it over the left side of his chest, right where his heart beats. "You live here, with me."

I look at him, my lips parted in surprise. He looks serious as he stares back at me and it makes me swallow a gulp.

"Carter..."

I lose track of my words because what I feel suddenly is overwhelming and I have no words to describe it.

"Yes?" he asks and I wrap my arms around his torso, hugging him as I have only ever hugged Mom.

He puts one hand on the small of my back and the other on the back of my head as he hugs me back.

"Thank you...for everything."

For a home...for a friend...for you.

I look up at him and smile. He smiles back and places his warm lips on my forehead, giving me a soft kiss. Just then, the sound of loud footsteps greets our ears, making us pull away instantly and peek from behind the shelf.

I see Kyle enter the library with his ten minions who stroll behind him aimlessly, except for Lucy, who is wrapped under his arm as she listens to his talks and rolls her eyes. They have been best friends since childhood and the only person with whom Kyle is moderately calm with is Lucy.