The Hood (Screenplay)

EXT. GROTTY COUNCIL ESTATE - NIGHT

A tiny figure, waifish and alone, weaves its way through a council estate - a forest of dark and towering blocks.

MAISIE'S gait is brisk; she is clearly on a mission. Wearing a dark red hoody, skinny jeans and listening to her iPhone, LOUDLY, she is every bit the typical 14 year old girl.

She dips in and out of various light sources, tapping a message quickly in to her phone, her stride unbroken.

NEARLY HOME. X

Maisie presses send and then turns the bass heavy music UP.

She passes a huge graffiti mural, on the side of one of the buildings. Quite beautiful, if you like that kind of thing. It reads LICN.

EXT. DARKENED CORNER - NIGHT

POV - Someone is watching her; moving in the shadows. BREATHING heavily.

EXT. GROTTY COUNCIL ESTATE - NIGHT

It begins to drizzle and she pulls up her hood.

She passes a lamp post with wilting flowers and a rain soaked note tied to it.

The ink has run and the note is no longer legible.

Maisie walks on, glancing briefly over her shoulder before increasing her pace.

She enters the tallest building, a crack of lightening framing it against the night sky. An ominous shadow creeps up its walls, just as the door closes behind her.

The sound of THUNDER?

EXT. DOORWAY OF SECOND BUILDING - NIGHT

An elderly man, about 60, watches from a nearby doorway, out of the rain, in the shadows. He carries something made of wood against his shoulder and he wears the uniform of a council worker. A CARETAKER.

He shakes his head mournfully, and lowers, what turns out to be a broom, to the floor. He sweeps the remaining dirt out on to the street.

INT. POORLY LIT ENTRY HALL - NIGHT

Ancient strip lights flicker above Maisie's head but she takes no notice. Her nostrils flare and she turns to her left to see a suspicious yellow puddle against the wall.

Above it a cork board, with various torn sheets of paper adorning it. One reads COMMUNITY FIGHT BACK MEETING. ALL WELCOME. The rest of sheet is shredded and unreadable.

Maisie turns back and begins pressing the lift call button repeatedly.

Nervously, she waits. All the while looking back over her shoulder at the door, which is lightly BANGING against the wind.

The number above the lift reads 13.

She presses the button again. Next to it, scrawled in thick black marker pen on the wall are the words DOG FO'LIFE.

The door behind her flies open, another lightening flash lights up the entry hall, accompanied by a THUNDER clap. Leaves are blown inside and the door crashes shut once more. A soft GROWL from the other side of the room, behind the lift shaft, perhaps more thunder.

The lift hasn't moved from floor 13. Maisie heads to the stairwell and pulls hard against the huge fire resistant glass door. It CREAKS with years of pain but finally gives in.

INT. DARKENED STAIRWELL - NIGHT

She looks up in to the darkness of the well, the top floor can not be seen.