Chapter 7

Aside a run in with Professor Flitwick in which the diminutive half-goblin tentatively reiterated Professor McGonagall's earlier offer, and a particularly humorous incident involving Hagrid and the all too small fireplace they flooed out of, the journey back to Hogwarts and by extension Hagrid's hut was uneventful. The pair sat down, Harry gracefully on a stool reserved for visitors and Hagrid with a thud that shook the whole hit as he happily collapsed on to his giant bed. However there moment of peace was quickly disrupted by Fang, who gleefully jumped on to Hagrid's lap, causing the man to let out a pained yet amused yell. Harry laughed at this, it was a much needed moment of humour in what had otherwise been a very serious day. But not necessarily a bad day, he reflected, he had uncovered life-changing information that he was better off knowing, as well as his other purchases.
"Harry, Harry c'mon," Hagrid's fingers snapped Harry of thoughts, the boy's eyes now focused and he glanced expectantly at Hagrid. "Harry it's getting dark, we should set up your tent now before the light fades completely." Nodding, Harry jumped up from the stool and the pair exited the hut.
From his experience at the World Cup with the Weasleys and Hermione, he was able to set up the tent fairly quickly and easily, without nearly as much trouble as he'd had at the campsite. This time, he refused to let thoughts of his ex-best friends dampen his mood. He felt a powerful wave of energy wash over him as he stepped into the tent and he realised that must of been the wards. Harry was pleased with the inside and the tent, he had of course briefly seen the interior in the shop but he now took his time to carefully explore and catalogue his new living space. Something that particularly pleased him was the small, but well equipped and well stocked kitchen. Given his time at the Dursleys, Harry was a fairly accomplished chef. Thus, he was able to make his own meals, meals that were significantly more healthy than the Hogwarts ones. Through this, and an exercise regime he had started - nothing extreme, just running around the lake accompanied by press ups and sit ups - Harry had gained weight, no longer so scrawny and he was well on his way to possessing quite an imposing, muscular figure.
All things considered, Harry only had to enter the Hogwarts castle so that he could attend his classes, which were...interesting. After his display with Malfoy, no students came close to him, scared off by the glare emitted from his flaming green eyes. He needn't wear glasses anymore, the removal of his blocks had fixed his eyesight. His teachers reactions to this were extreme, he really did have his mother's eyes. Professors McGonagall and Flitwick practically had tears in their eyes, whilst Snape, after staring at him for nearly half an hour, resumed his hatred of him with renewed vigour. But classes were easy for him now, even in Potions he was performing to a solid standard. He found it increasingly easy to understand the theory behind the magic, and never took more than two attempts to master a new spell or transfiguration. Despite this rapid growth in power and prowess, he was still worried for the Tournament. The books he had brought from Flourish and Blotts didn't give him any confidence - he felt they were too basic, and after pressure from Dumbledore, McGonagall appeared Flitwick were forced to retract their offers of private tuition. The first task loomed large on the horizon, but Harry still felt he was nowhere near the level he needed to be at. He was starting to lose hope, until Hagrid awakened him one auspicious Sunday morning with an idea.
"Oh, hey Hagrid," Harry said absent mindedly, not glancing up from the book his head was currently stuck in.
"Two things actually, first off I think you should update the wards, there are some people who are coming down to my cabin every day who are concerned about you. Plus I think McGonagall and Flitwick would like to see you."
"Maybe, I'll think about it. Who are the people coming down to your cabin, if it's Ron or Hermione I'm not interested."
"Actually, the only Gryffindors that come down are Neville and the twins. Neville comes down every day, and Fred and George pop round fairly frequently, sometimes with the Chasers." A smile crossed Harry's face, he remembered on that night he got kicked out all six of them had tried to protest. He nodded to himself, he'd bring them down and give them access after the first task.
"Anyone else?" He asked sarcastically, "Anyone else concerned about the welfare of the Boy Who Lived?"
"Two others actually. A pair of Ravenclaws, Cho Chang and Luna Lovegood. Apparently they saw us that first day when I carried you out of the castle. If anything, you should at least meet them, even if just to say thanks for keeping what they saw a secret." Harry nodded thoughtfully, Hagrid had became his sole confidant, and had always given good advice. And those girls...although it had faded quite drastically, he still remembered the crush he had had on Cho in third year. And while he didn't know Luna personally, everyone in the castle knew of her reputation, Loony Lovegood. Why those two had come all the way down to Hagrid out of concern for him was a mystery.
"Ok, next time they come down, come get me and I'll talk with them. But you said you had two things, what else did you want to talk about?"
"About the Tournament, Harry. I see you're getting frustrated cos you can't find stuff that'll get you to the next level, but I think I have an idea to help you..." Intrigued, Harry looked away from his book and leant towards Hagrid, but he was still slightly sceptical - Harry knew of Hagrid's lack of magical prowess, one might say. Yet he trusted Hagrid and was getting ever so slightly desperate, so he put away his books and followed Hagrid out of the hut. However, he paused when he saw Hagrid head towards the tree line.
"Hagrid, why are we going into the Forest?"
"Just trust me Harry, they'll want to explain it themselves!" The man yelled back at him, in his uncertainty Harry had fallen quite a few steps behind. Shaking his head in confusion - who's 'they' - Harry hurried after the big man. The pair did not exchange another word as they trekked through the forest, Harry glancing around nervously yet reassured by Hagrid's presence. Eventually, the pair reached a clearing in the forest, it was empty save for a few shrubs and bushes dotting to the edges. Hagrid strode to the centre of the clearing, tipped his head back to the sky and howled like a wolf. Harry was confused but Hagrid simply walked back to him, his face uncharacteristically serious as he took up a waiting position. The cry must have been a signal, for after a few minutes Harry heard the pounding of hooves, and moments later they were surrounded by centaurs.
One stepped forward, Firenze, his hair blowing in the wind.
"Hagrid, why have you called us here? And why is there a foal with you?" Hagrid's face suddenly took on an expression of nervousness, as the herd, as well as Harry glanced at him expectantly.
"I've come to ask for a favour, for Harry here," At this outrage sprung up across the herd, many began glancing at Harry with expressions of fury, but some simply looked curious. However, a furious centaur broke through the ranks to stand beside Firenze.
"Hagrid!" The centaur shouted, "You know we do not do favours for humans. Leave the forest now, before we force you!" Hagrid raised his hands, attempting to placate the furious centaur.
"Bane please, at least here me out." Bane still looked mutinous, and it seemed Hagrid's request would fall on deaf ears until another centaur stepped forward.
"Peace, Bane. We can at least hear Hagrid out. And look at the foal, it is Harry Potter. All of us have seen in the stars what the boy has been through, and what he has yet to through. There is no harm that can come from listening to Hagrid." Bane fumed as Firenze gently nodded at Hagrid, indicating he should continue.
"Thank you Magorian," Hagrid said in a slightly shaky tone, the comment about what Harry had yet to go through had disturbed him, as it had to Harry. "So, you're all aware of what Harry's been through, and his name coming out of the Goblet. Dumbledore won't let anyone help him, but I was sorta hoping maybe you could train him maybe, you are the wisest people I know..." Hagrid trailed off uncertainly. The trio in front of the herd exchanged glances, Bane still looking angry but less so, Magorian looked intrigued and Firenze seemed to be considering it.
"Before we make a decision, foal would you speak to us about what you require?" Magorian said in what sounded like a question but one that you better not say no to. Harry glanced at Hagrid but he had no advice to give in this situation. He simply looked at Harry, eyes shining with encouragement and a faint smile on his lips. Squaring his shoulders, Harry stepped forward.
"I trust Hagrid with my life, and I know how highly he views you. And I am forever indebted to the herd as Firenze saved my life in my first year. That was when I first encountered a centaur and I was awed. But about the Tournament - I need to get stronger and nothing in any books I have had helped me enough. The First task is mere weeks away, I know your thoughts on wizards but I lay myself before, and plead for your guidance." Harry looked anxiously, trying to gauge the reactions to his speech. Proud shone from Hagrid's eyes, and he could see newfound respect in the eyes of Firenze and Magorian, and other members of the herd. Bane still had a trace of fury marring his features, but his expression was closer to neutrality than anger. The herd retreated out of earshot and conversed for several minutes, the main discussion seemingly happening between Bane and Firenze. Eventually, the centaurs stepped forwards, Magorian acting as their spokesman. But just as he opened his mouth, the ground shook once more and a horde of Acromantula burst into the clearing.

A/N: Phew, the next chapter finally out! The support this book has received has been inspirational and I'm nearly finished with exams so hopefully I'll be able to update for frequently. As always, leave a review, hope you enjoyed it (sorry for the cliffhanger).
Signing off for now...